We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
378 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

Im coming to Thailand with wife and kids for 3 weeks this june/juli for the 1st time. We will stay in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Bangkok.

I understand that U can do some pretty good deals, but what should I go for if I got like 40-50 kgs room in the luggage for it. Offcourse some clothing/shoes. but what else?

Thx in advance ;-)

Durham UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

Really depends what you are looking for

Wood Carvings, Batak prints, Thai spices and sauces, there is so much - really depends what is important to you. Coconut products, Spa products, bronze cutlery, "designer" bags - the list is endless but depends on what you are looking for.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

You may want to buy a virgin coconut oil - great for massages, and amazing for the hair (apply 1 hour before you wash them). You can buy some nice picture from local artists, they are much cheaper in Thailand. Also maybe some small presents from Thailand for your friends and families, something hand-made and with elephants on it - small bags, wallets, notebooks, diaries, etc... Some people buy fake bags/watches, but hard to find a good copy these days...

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

Hi

For cloths and shoes do it in Bangkok more choices MBK, Siam paragon, platinum mall.

But for Thai products ( souvenirs) I always buy the coin purse in the shape of elephants, sarongs, table runners. Go to Nathon supping is a lots cheaper and if you go on Saturday there's walking street with lots of local food and goods.

Happy shopping :-)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,749 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

I would say, what would you want to buy . . . .?

There is a popular thread in the Phuket tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k4… and the Kuala Lumpur forums on a similar them, and the idea originated in the Bali forum [I think] . . .

Medication (over the counter stuff that you need a prescription for at home)

Inscet repellant from 7Eleven

'bits' from the 7Eleven that I can't find at home, like tiny colour butterfly clips (for the office not the hair)

prickly heat powder

table runners and cushion covers

handbags / wallets

sandles / thongs

elephant or buddha ornaments of all shapes and sizes

woodcarvings

silk

lip sil that turns your lips pink

Glasses and contacts can be cheaper

Sarongs

earings

belts

packet spices and curry mixes

Sunglasses

Watches

Undies and socks

Shirts (Mr mitch has to add to his check shirt collection)

Teeshirts and singlets

The list is pretty much endless . . .

Memories - can't buy them!

Edited: 27 May 2012, 09:55
Copenhagen
Level Contributor
378 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

Thxguys,I really appreciate Ur inputs. When I return in JuliI will addMy own shoppinglist :-)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,749 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

bump!

7. Re: Shopping question: What MUST I buy in Thailand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:19