We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in Koh Samui

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Place to stay in Koh Samui

Could anyone reccomend a good place to stay in Koh Samui?

We would like somewhere that is pretty chilled out during the day without the beer bellies, but has some bars and restuarants in the evening.

I have hear that Chaweng has got a bit grotty. is that correct?.

Thanks

Colin

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in Koh Samui

Hi

Chaweng grotty? Well.. Hard to say depends on who you are talking to. My husband and I in late 40s loved chaweng ( the southern part). If you don't already know Chaweng beach divides in to 3 parts

North Chaweng big resort beach ok with walking distances to shops bars and restaurants both on beach and on tje main road.

Central Chawrng this is part where all tne actions are happing bars clubs party might life

South Chaweng beach, if you are after beautiful with white soft sand away from it all but easy walking to vicinity.

Cheong mon beach for quieter equally beautiful as south Chaweng beach and bars and restaurants to be had.

Chaweng noi beach next to south of Chaweng beach quieter not much around just a few of resort, bars and restaurants.

I would pick either south Chaweng, cheong mon and chaweng noi. As what's is the best place to stay we need to know your budget what you like and dislike. Oh about the beer bellies people I don't mind them as long as they are not rowdy and rude and I'm ok with that. Thailand is free country after all.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in Koh Samui

If you don't like the beer bellies then you're not going to like Chaweng because that's got the biggest concentration of them. Yes South Chaweng has a nice beach and is quieter than Central Chaweng. Its also within a short walking distance of Central Chaweng with its multitude of bars and restaurants but the nighlife and bars are why so many of the beer bellies and backpackers stay in the 3 Chaweng areas.

If you want somewhere more upmarket thats more chilled out than Chweng then head for Bhoput. The compromise is that the sands not as fine textured as South Chaweng but still very nice to look at. I'd also recommend Choeng Mon. Its a grogeous beach, with fine textured sand and very very chilled out by day (less hawkers hassling you and less jetskis zooming around). It has a couple of dozen bars and restaurants beachside and in the high street at night. Its 10 mins in either direction by cab/songthew to Bhoput and Chaweng if you want a livlier night out. I can't guarantee you won't see an odd beer belly or two in Bhoput or Choeng Mon but probably not as many as there are in Chaweng. Perhaps the beer bellies aren't down to beer but too many pies!!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,406 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in Koh Samui

South Chaweng or Choeng Mon - Choeng Mon is definitely the quieter and more laid back place.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,245 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in Koh Samui

LOL, you get the beer bellies everywhere!!! I would not say Chaweng has got grotty it is more touristy.

South Chaweng and Choeng Mon are the nicest beaches, softer sand.

If you want the choice of some bars and restuarants around then it South Chaweng or Chaweng Noi are a good choice, as you have the choice, but are not far [20min walk or 5min songthew] from the center if you want more choice.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay in Koh Samui

I wouldn't stay anywhere other than South Chaweng, a great beach with loads of restarurant choices on your doorstep. Bophut is a more laid back place but the beach has very course sand and there are a few nice restaurants but the choice is limited.

6. Re: Place to stay in Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:16