We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - well almost just back

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - well almost just back

Hi guys,

Will give you a quick rundown of our 12 wonderful nights on Samui, but be warned, it's not very exciting. We were there to simply relax by the pool I'm afraid.

Arrived at 7.20am with Bangkok Airways. We got the 6am flight from Bangkok as it was a fair bit cheaper. In hindsight, we would have been better off spending the time in bed as our room wasn't ready early but anyhoo, it's all good. We stayed at the Novotel Bangkok airport which was fabulously convenient.

Spent the first 6 nights at Melati Resort. 100% occupancy so the sunbeds were a little hard to come by around the pool during the day but we always got lucky and managed to score one. Will review it but I have to say it's not the 5 star place it claims to be. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful resort in stunning gardens, lovely good sized rooms, etc but the little things let it down. The quality of the food, old bathtowels, the pools not being filled correctly so they skim properly, and other minors things meant that it falls short of a true five star resort. Honestly it has the potential to be amazing, but it's just not there yet. We would not return, but that said, it's in a lower price category that the other true 5 star resorts I think so some people might be able to get over the small niggles for such a beautiful resort.

Spent the next 6 nights at the Hansar and wowee, the place is amazing. Certainly earnt it's 5 stars. Rooms, service, food, pool everything was perfect. We are planning a 10 night stay next year already. We ate at the H bistro two nights and although quite $$$ it was one of the best meals we have ever had - without a doubt perfect.

We ate at Sala Samui and the Tongsai - both wonderful restaurants, couldn't fault them. Even at night we could see how beautiful Tongsai was and we would love to stay there next year tooif I manage to 'massage the budget' as I like to say.

We actually ended up spending two Friday nights at Fishermans Village, the first was fantastic but the second raining, so not as much going on (but still street vendors out). The market is amazing and we certainly indulged in the 60 baht cocktails! I was rather tipsy by the time we ended up at the other end of the street.

In Fishermans Village we ate at Happy Elephant, Krua and another place, the name escapes me, I will come back to that.

Happy elephant - good meals, nothing really to rave about, very westernised, would probably try something else rather than coming back.

Krua - excellent thai food I thought but hubby said it was ok but not wonderful. Hmmm, not sure why he wasn't as thrilled, but I really enjoyed it and would go back again easily.

Oh I am so annoyed, the name of the place we ate twice, I can't remember it. It's on the left hand side, coming from the Hansar. It has black on the sign outside and they do tapas. Really excellent meal!!

Oh and we ate an Italian place, on the right hand size way down the village, the other end from hansar but you guessed it, I can't remember that one either. Sorry I am not being helpful. Lovely meal here too.

Had sunset cocktails at Coconut Grove bar, so nice sitting on the beanbags, having a cocktail as the sun sets. Really enjoyed that place.

Lunch at the Cliff was really good, except for the part where the waitress dropped a coconut cocktail all down my back, soaked my skirt, top and underwear! She was completely horrified and I was worried she was going to have her pay docked to cover it so I didn't make a big fuss. Really really good food with a wonderful view. Certainly recommend lunch as the view is lost at night I would say.

See, I told you, all we did was eat and drink and swim. Really wonderful holiday, we loved Samui so much and are planning a three week trip next year, probably 6 nights on Phagnan, 10 on Samui and 4 in Bangkok.

Feel free to ask questions etc, I am sure there is so much I have left out.

Thanks to all you lovely forum members for helping me plan our trip, your advice and posts are really invaluable and appreciated.

Cheers, Steph

Wirral
Level Contributor
728 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - well almost just back

Great report Steph !! Many thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards

bb

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - well almost just back

Thanks for sharing your holiday with us, that must have been really uncomfortable eating with a coconut cocktail all down your back.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - well almost just back

Chrella - it was a bit. We did a good job of cleaning it up and it was pretty warm so it dried off quick. The three g&t's helped :)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - well almost just back

Great JBR Steph. I really love it when people who have planned their trips using the help of TA forums come and post how it all went when they return :)

I haven't spent a lot of time in Fishermans Village apart from 1 walking street and we didn't really get to look around too much because an AFL final was on and my hubby had to watch (rolling eyes here LOL). Those cocktails are amazing aren't they - I had to buy a can of lemonade to dilute mine it was so strong!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - well almost just back

Hi Steph

Great report. I'm glad you enjoyed koh Samui.

Thanks for sharing :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - well almost just back

JustAllie - I was suprised at how good the cocktails were actually! For that price I was expecting that pre-mixed watered down slush so imagine my suprise when the bottles of spirits came out. Great value!

Ahhh, only 10 months to go until the next trip.............

I really have to get cracking and start my reviews, I have only done 1 so far and I really want to get them done. TA was so helpful to me I want to add my reviews so they might help others.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - well almost just back

Great JBR Steph, we are visiting Samui in early September flying in from Sydney, can't wait!

Was contemplating between Hansar , Melati or one of the South Chaweng resorts... but I think you've convinced me to stay at Hansar for my week long trip!

One quick question - have read the beach at Bophut isn't as nice as other places, did you find that to be true?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR - well almost just back

We found that the sand was a bit nicer at Melati, however we only went into the ocean once or twice and spent the rest of the time in the pool. Bophut beach is still very very pretty, but I didn't swim in it sorry. Prefer to be close to the pool bar ;)

We did drive through South Chewang and I can firmly say it's not for us. Way too busy, crowded and smelly. Honestly, I couldn't see a big difference between Chewang and South Chewang.

But! That said, just because it's not for us, that does not mean it's not for everyone else. There are many people around here that really love South Chewang so I am not knocking it, it's just not our cup of tea for a relaxing tropical beach destination.

9. Re: JBR - well almost just back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:17