We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Hi, can anyone advise on what my flight options are from Melbourne to Samui. I'd prefer not to have to go all the way to

Bangkok and back down to Samui if you know what I mean but I also don't want to get stuck Singapore or KL for 6 hours waiting for a connection.

Yeak, I know, I'm a little fussy but at the end of the day I'll take what I can get. Just thought I'd ask.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Hi

I think if you don't want to go all the away to bangkok then there are two ways to get there by planes.

1. Fly to Singapore then connect with Bangkok airs ( 5-6hrs not too bad plenty to do at the airport) or Silk airs ( over nigh in Singapore).

2. Fly to kL then air Asia to Surat Thani + land + ferry too long and waste too much precious holiday time IMHO.

I think Bangkok route is not too bad as there are many flights to choose from. Thai airlines fly direct to koh Samui 2 flights daily. Bangkok airs fly 12 flights daily to koh Samui.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 03:39
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Samui is only 65 mins from Bangkok. There are heaps of flights from Bangkok to samui with Bangkok airways so you wont be stuck for hours. Its our preference to fly direct to Bangkok with Jetstar and the Bangkok airways to samui.

Canberra
Level Contributor
591 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

You can probably fly direct to Phuket and then to Samui, Bangkok Air has 4 flights each way per day at 3-4 hour intervals @ 2750Bt per 55 minute flight.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

I am not sure that you can get direct to Phuket from Melbourne unfortunately, they stopped the direct ones. I am pretty sure I checked that when we were booking. To get to Thailand directly, you need to go to Bangkok.

Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Melbourne to Phuket goes via Singapore I think.

Cheers.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 05:48
Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Although actually I think we are flying Melbourne - Sydney - Phuket,

it was Cambodia that went via Singapore.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 05:51
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

I think the option via Bangkok is generally the best, however this trip we are flying with Malaysia Airlines via KL.

Total flying time including connections on the way there is 12 hours and on the way home is 11 hours which is probably cutting it a bit fine, but as they are on the same ticket (the flights to Samui from KL have Malaysia Airline flight numbers with 'operated by BKK Air' in brackets), if we were to miss our connection we wouldn't have to worry about puchasing another flight, the flights are only once a day I think though. The other thing I really like about them is they leave Mel/KL between 10pm-12am so being night flights we get to sleep away the flight rather than wasting a day.

Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Unless you get a crying baby anywhere near you. We were surrounded by 3 of them in a triangle on our overnight flight back from Ho Chi Minh last year.

Even earplugs don't cut that out.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Hi, we are going in September from Melbourne and flying with Malaysian Airlines via KL. We have a short stopover time in KL - I think only a couple of hours and hopefully we won't miss our connecting flight but it was quicker this way. Our flight leaves at midnight so it will be interesting to see how much sleep us and the children get!!! I think our total flying time and stop over time is about 11 hours.

We were checking out going via Singapore but that had a 10 hour stop over. On our way back we are also going via KL but are spending a few days there before heading back to cold Melbourne!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to Samui from Melbourne

Hi

We have flown Thai, leaving MEL at about midnight and then a short transfer time in Bangkok and then down to Samui. I'm not sure if this is still available. Last time we booked this. Thai changed the flight departure time, but they did put us up in the Miracle hotel which is near BKK airport. Not a bad way to get there really