We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongsai Bay - good option for solo traveller?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tongsai Bay - good option for solo traveller?

I'm considering the Tongsai Bay in late Sept/early Oct - I'm a 33 year old single woman, a friend of mine may tag along with me, but I haven't confirmed her travel plans yet.

I'm looking for a relaxing holiday but also somewhere that will have activities and nice towns to wander around in.

Would this hotel be suitable for my age and the fact I'm likely to be on my own as I'm worried about it being too couply or attracting an older crowd?

I'm not a into clubbing but some nice bars and good restaurants are important when I'm on holiday.

Thoughts or other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongsai Bay - good option for solo traveller?

Its a fantastic hotel and you'd be fine on your own as the whole place has such a laid back friendly atmosphere. When we've been there, there's been a mixture of couples, families and single friends travelling together. The age range tends to mainly be mid 20s to late 40s. The way its run lends itself to guests mixing together at happy hour (twice a day) where everybody congregates by the beach bar. There's also a free managers party on Mondays followed by a beach barbecue and that tends to get people mingling. Its certainly a very relaxing resort.

However, its not situated in the main towns which are Chaweng and Bhoput, so there's no shops or nighclubs nearby. The two main towns are 10-15 minutes by cab. The nearest small town to Tongsai is Choeng Mon which is about 15 minutes walk away. There's about 20 or so bars and restaurants beachside and in the High Street. You can borrow a kayak or catamaran and sail over to Choeng Mon for lunch if you're feeling energetic - great beach. You'd be fine walking to and from Choeng Mon during the day but I'm not sure I'd want to walk there on my own at night (its an unlit road). If your friend goes with you you'd have a great time and walking together to Choeng Mon at night would be ok. If you go alone though, I wonder whether you might want to be closer to town?

Edited: 20 August 2012, 21:23
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongsai Bay - good option for solo traveller?

It might be a bit isolated for you if you want to interact with others, or walk to bars, shopping etc. It's a gorgeous resort, we had dinner there (fabulous!) and plan to spend 6 nights there next year, but it's quite isolated in that you won't be able to walk anywhere from it.

But if relaxing and quiet is what you are after, then from what we saw of it, it's an amazing resort.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongsai Bay - good option for solo traveller?

That's really helpful twiggyrex, the resort sounds great and I think Choeng Mon will have enough to keep me busy too! Just been in touch with my friend, so she's tempted - let's see if I can get something booked soon!

Thanks once again for taking the time to respond!

4. Re: Tongsai Bay - good option for solo traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 06:17