We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Lice

London, England...
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Lice

Hi, I am going to Koh Samui on 13th Sept for 2 weeks. Well excited. I have seen a few posts about people saying there is sea lice about. I am staying at the Centara Grand and wondered if anyone there at the moment is experiencing this?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Lice

We have been going to Samui for years and stay either at the Centara or next door at Poppies and I only heard about sea lice a few weeks ago when I read about it here on the forum I don't think they affect everyone and the're not always present I think you'll just have to wait until you're there and see for yourself.

Wales
Level Contributor
698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Lice

Can i catch them from toilet seats?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Lice

Lilly I am not sure if you are serious or not, but I will bite.

No, they are not like other lice. They are little creatures that live in the sea. You can't pass them on to each other. They just give you a little bite, they won't hurt you or make you sick, it's just really itchy when they bite. I didn't even notice I had been bitten in Australia until I got back to my hotel and I was covered in tiny red bites. The next day it was all cleared up, nothing to worry about.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Lice

They come and go and have never ruined my holidays. But it's no point wondering what they are doing now as they can come in go in a day, let alone in a few weeks. You are better to worry about how to eliminate some of the things you have packed that you will not need to take.

lol Lilly, judging by your other posts I take you to be a right joker :)

Beijing
Level Contributor
200 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Lice

I couldn't move for sea lice yesterday. I counted them in my thousands around me. It was like something out of a horror movie:)

Wales
Level Contributor
698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Lice

OMG just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water !

im getting a bit affraid of these sea lice now..,but very glad the lavatories are sea lice free areas, especially if there are thousands of them,Thanks for the warnings..and advice..

but im still concerned, i was thinking one good swim and a sea lice meal and they could pick you clean to the bone like a piranah, could they? ...i had no idea about them. I was only worried about mosquitos and how to combat those, now im loosing sleep pondering about flesh eating sea lice... Should I think of swapping my holiday somewhere less exotic and nearer to home..say like Porthcawl, or the Isle of Barry..im sure they dont have them there , well not in the sea anyhow..seriously worried tourist..!

Edited: 02 September 2012, 09:49
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,817 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Lice

"Sea lice" are actually larvae of jellyfish or sea anemones that are too small to be visible. Their immature nematocysts (stinging cells) trigger a stinging sensation while you're swimming and may cause skin eruptions when the miniscule creatures get trapped under your bathing suit. You can generally avoid this if you get out of your wet bathing suit and shower when you leave the water.

Like jellyfish, they come and go according to tidal patterns, climate and currents. It's impossible to say this beach or that beach has them or not, or they're a problem in this month and not another. I've been on the same beach five years in a row during the same time period and they were a problem only 2 years out of the 5.

Wales
Level Contributor
698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Lice

Thanks bill for clearing up the lice advice. I am very relieved.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Lice

From Jaws the movie (1975)

"Martin, it's all psychological. You yell barracuda, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July. "

From TA's post "Sea Lice" (2012)

"Bonnie M, it's all psychological. You yell sea lice, everybody says "Huh What?"

Lilly Wales you yell, can i catch them from toilet seats?, we've got panic on our hands on this forum"

Thank you Bill.

Also

http://www.buysafesea.com/sea_lice.php

Best

Giorgio Federico

Wales
Level Contributor
698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Lice

I consider myself told off Giorgio.,.

a pox upon me....

Im very sorry, for my joke...i will atone....

Please any people reading this post who may have excessve concerns about sea lice ...please take note they cant eat you, even slowly, irrespective of how many Adrian saw... I made a joke about piranahs...and i knew they wouldnt get you in the WC again it was a joke...a very bad , bad joke...

please refer to the excellent advice posted by Bill and giorgio and web site for the the true perspective on sea lice...