We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bophut or Chong Mon

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bophut or Chong Mon

2 x 50 year olds, 4 x 20 to 30 year olds and one 2 year old want to go to Koh Samui next May. Should we stay in Bophut or Chong Mon? We want to rent a villa with a pool near the beach and restaurants Want to get the flavour of Thailand so not just another baech holiday which could be anywhere but want to please everybody.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,784 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

I'd go for Bophut as you have a bit more choices to go out.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

Agree there are more choices, but the beach is better at Choeng Mon if you like the white sand variety. Wherever you stay hiring a car/van would be a good idea then you are not confined to one place.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

Hi

If looking. For private villas I would suggest get a car hire( you will need International driving permit for legal and your travel insurance purposes) for get in and out and explores the island.

Bophut you will have more choices for bars and restaurants but the beach around there are not the best. As Cass says if you are looking for better beach then cheongmon beach. However thses area are only 10 mins by car rides between each others.

Canberra
Level Contributor
591 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

There is a fair range of villas for rent in Choeng Mon area and north-east of Choeng Mon.

In June we stayed here, 4 couples:

https:/…127237817306066

www.samuiholidayhomes.com/Villa-Talay-Sai.htm

Four en-suite bedrooms, great location, but you need a car, we hired 2 Honda CRVs from Hertz.

This one is just a little further up the hill:

www.samuiholidayhomes.com/Villa-Hin-Sai.htm

It's a bit of a climb over rocks to the beach, but the pool is big enough or it's a short drive to the main Choeng Mon beach.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

If you can find a nice Villa in Choeng Mon that would be my choice.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

Thanks for all the replies. Choeng Mon seems to come out on top so we will book a villa there. It will be our first time in Thailand and we can't wait.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

On top of this page you will see " vacation rentals" if you click on that it will show you with all the private villas that's listed with TA or alternatively check this out www.samuiconnection.com/

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

I have never stayed in boohut but several times in chongmon. Chongmon in may is very quiet. Nearly no one on the beach. Bophut might be have more people. If you want to go out it is not to far from chaweng if you stay in chongmoon. I have stayed in island view bungalow many times in chongmon. Bungalow with ac, fridge and hot water cost 800-1200 baht. Directly on the beach. Cheap bar and restaurant with good thaifood. Highly recommended if you not are bothered about the place being quiet. Chongmon have taxi service, seven eleven, tour booking and alot of restaurants in different price range.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 16:38
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

I like both resorts for different reasons. Bhoput is the bigger of the two resorts so it has a greater selection of shops, bars and restaurants, particularly in the Fisherman's village area. I don't mind the beach at Bhoput because I'm not that fussed about the texture of the sand - I'm more a pool person. The sand in Bhoput has a grittier texture than that in Choeng Mon.

I like Choeng Mon because its much less developed than many areas in Choeng Mon. Its peaceful and quiet at night but has 20 or so bars and restaurants beachside and in the High Street (which is so small you can walk from top to bottom in 5 minutes). Unlike other areas of Samui its still clinging onto a thai village feel. The beach is great, white talcum powder sand. l personally think its in a great position - halfway between Chaweng (if you want a manic night out) and Bhoput (if you want a bigger selection of upmarket restaurants).

I guess it depends on how lively or tranquil a holiday you want. Either resort would provide a great holiday.

If you're looking for villa rentals You might want to contact the TA expert Elina70 (see top right hand of this page). She owns a reputable travel agency and may be able to help with accomodation.

Looe
Level Contributor
84 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bophut or Chong Mon

Hi

I know you want to hire a villa but check out the 'Waterfront Hotel' in Fisherman's Village, Bophut. We have stayed several times and I think it would be perfect for your requirements with many good restaurants nearby. Chomong is fairly quiet with not much choice.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 20:56