We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with choosing where to stay...first timers

shropshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
help with choosing where to stay...first timers

Hi, i know this question has been asked so many times, and there is some info from searches, but the knowledge of most people on here is exceptional, so i have to ask for your advice

we are planning to visit Thailand march/april 2013 for the first time.

We (2 adults) are looking to stay in Koh Samui. Our budget is £1200-1600 per person for 2 weeks inc flights, but not fixed. We are considering a 2 hotel stay.

1st hotel to be close to busy area for food/entertainment etc and also colse to beach if poss , for approx 9/10 days

2nd hotel to be quiet and romantic beach based approx 4 days

all suggestions from your experiences are welcome.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

Hi

are you planning to book a package or DIY??

If you are planning to book flights and holidays as DIY, you will find that booking a flight to a hub, like Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur or Singapore, and then buying a seperate ticket to Samui is normally cheaper.

Ok, flights will cost around £700-800 per person. This leaves around £1400 for hotels,or £100 a night.

Chawang bits the bill on the busy area for food/entertainment etc with a fabulous beach. We prefer the southern end (anything from Banana Sea Fan south), as the beach is lovely and its only a short walk of 20mins to the lively center or 5mins on a songthew (pick up taxi), but it isn't if there is not much along the southern end, there are some lovely restaurants and bars, and shopping!!

Not so hot on the romantic stuff, as me and Mr Mitch are a bit old for that now, but there are some lovely quiet beaches, or you could head over to Koh Phangan (neighbouring island) for a very relaxing time!! Its only a 20min ferry ride, and just like going back in time!!

Happy planning!!

So many hotels, you could look at Hotels << --- or look at http://www.map-thailand.com/samui.htm which is a great way to find out where the hotels are on the island.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

Hi

I agree with TM the hotel in south chawrng beach fits in with your criteria. Majority of hotels, resorts in koh Samui are beach front with your budget around 4500baht you can gt pretty nice right on beach espcially of time you're going. Have a look the link provided by TM and narrow it down if more questions don't hesitates to ask.

For romantic I'm with TM again my husband and I we are over 40s and most time traveling with our son so not much of romantic help there.

However you might want to considering split your stay in koh phagnan or koh Tao instead ( for more laid back and romantic scheduled ).

There are ferry/speed boats operate from koh Samui to koh phagnan 20-30 mins run daily or from koh Samui to koh Tao 2-2.30 hrs and run daily.

Happy planning :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

So it's all over when you hit 40? I better make the most out of the next couple of years then ;)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

LOL / 555 not at all FP, it's never over, or even over the hill, just over the romance! We are in our 50's and love fun, but romance is what you make it!

It's all down to a positive and friendly attitude, like Pea and I, we enjoy!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

PS long working hours to pay for holidays and 6 grand-daughters always kills any romance . . . . .

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

Im 48 and happy to say romance is alive and well in our household. tongsai bay is the most romantic hotel on the island. may stretch the budget but well worth it. six senses sala samui or imperial boathouse are also very nice hotels. the last two are on choeng Mon beach which is a beautifully quiet romantic area and tongsai is in the opposite bay. they would provide a good contrast to chaweng and a glimpse of what samui used to be like 10 years ago.

shropshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

thanks to all for your replys and suggestions. We are looking into all the hotels suggested. Bump for the post to see if there are any more suggestions from anyone else,before we finally decide. And its definately not over when you reach 40 lol

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

Hi, Consider the Imperial Beach and Spa Resort, close enough to town 100baht ride each way takes 5 to ten minutes cabs out front of hotel. You will need to agree to the price with the driver before u use the taxi. The location of the Hotel fits both your needs. Talk to the Travel Agent and ask them how many days do u need to buy and how many free days does that trigger, I buy ten and get ten free, You may wish to look at Rooms around 212 - 214 they have the best views. Tea on the balcony at the Tara restaurant is possibly one of the most remarkable night s u could wish for. The staff will look after all your needs and spoil you lots. http://www.imperialhotels.com/imperialsamui/

Have a good look

Danny

England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with choosing where to stay...first timers

Hi, look at the Centara Grande on Cheweng beach

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui