We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore airlines

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Singapore airlines

Has anyone out there flown to koh samui via Singapore airlines. I would like to hear about your experience.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore airlines

Not with Singapore Airlines but we used AirAsia everywhere on our last year to eastern Asia trip.If you do not have specific interest with Singapore airlines and can travel with budget airline then AirAsia is not bad too. Comparing to the prices their services were great, people were helpful and supportive. I am not sure if AirAsia has Koh Samui to Singapore flights but please think about that once too!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore airlines

Well Singapore is a superb airline for a start.

From Singapore to Koh Samui you will fly aboard Silk Air ( which is owned by Singapore Airlines ) , about 1 hr 50 min flight. Although not the large Singapore Airlines aircraft Silk Air is also excellent.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore airlines

Air Asia do not fly to Koh Samui

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore airlines

I'm of the understanding that Singapore Airlines doesn't fly direct to Koh Samui, you will be on Silk Air for the Singapore to KOS leg of the trip.

I flew Singapore airlines from Sydney to Singapore and return in June on both their Airbus A330 and A380 planes. Inflight entertainment was fantastic, every seat had personal VOD with more movies and tv than I've had on any other flight. Service was great and flights were completely uneventful.

Singapore to KOS is about an 1hr 30min flight on a smaller Airbus A319. It's a pretty short flight but they served one meal during that time. No real inflight entertainment, just a few small screens that drop down from the ceiling but there's no sound as there's no headphone jacks in the arm rests.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Singapore and Silk Air.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore airlines

It will be Silk air but still a very good airline with good service.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore airlines

If you've got a long layover at Changi Airport I'd highly recommend booking a bed at the transit hotel in the airport (especially if it's a night layover).

If you're on a tight budget then have a look around and see if you can find one of the rest areas in the terminal that have lounges you can lay down on. Not all terminals have these and there aren't a whole lot of them though.

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore airlines

Thanks for all your replies should have mentioned flying from London hr via Singapore then silk for final leg. Return fight has a stop over in Singapore for 12 hrs.

Mansfield
Level Contributor
589 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore airlines

Much as I like Singair the connection times to USM are not good, so unless you particularly want to see Singapore, as good as it is, its a no brainer not to travel UK to BKK and transfer from there. Bangkok Air have about 12 flights per day to USM compared to Silk Air 2

Edited: 21 September 2012, 21:45
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore airlines

Hi

I have flown with Singapore airs and silk airs numerous of time and I would highly recommended. However if you dont want to stay in Singapore because the connecting is not good then you could perhaps fly with Singapore airlines and then fly with Bangkok airs from singapore to koh Samui instead.

Or as Manfield says fly in to Bangkok with what ever airlines then with Bangkok airs direct to koh Samui. Most airlines do code-shares with Bangkok airs your bags will be check throught to koh Samui without have to pick up your bags in Bangkok airport.

Cheers,

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore airlines

As mentioned Silk Air is part of Singapore Airlines. I have flown from Brisbane to Singapore and from there to Samui on Silk Air. Very good airlines.

Edited: 21 September 2012, 23:09