We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

Hi everyone

I'm hoping I can get some advice.

I'm getting married in February and I was thinking I'll only book for one or two nights online and book the rest when we're there?

I'm thinking advantage would be we can probably haggle a little more if we're there and get a better price since we're going around February 11 – March 1st which shouldn't be very busy.

Another advantage would be to see if we really like the hotel rather than being disappointed.

Perhaps you can advise on honeymoon locations, I'm planning to go to Krabi(Railay Beach) 4 nights, then a day trip or maybe a couple of nights in Phi Phi, Koh Samui 4-5 nights, Koh Tao 4 nights and then Bangkok 3 nights to do some shopping.

We'd love to see the crystal clear water and many activities.

Your assistance is much appreciated. Thank you all in advance! :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

These days prices tend to be cheaper through internet booking, but for sure book a night or two first. All your plans are possible, how do you plan to get from Phi Phi to Samui?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

Hi Cassnu,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

We would have to go back to Krabi and fly out to Samui. I've looked at making it by land but I read that it takes at least 7-8 hours. I don't want to put the Mrs through that hassle... :)

So you think in all destinations that we're planning to go to, a night or 2 is enough till we get there? We won't risk having no accommodation, or all the good ones would be gone?

Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

Hi

I think you can stay at Ao nang there are many things to do more , you can take long tail boat to there also to Phra Nang cave, Koh Hong, Koh Poda,Koh Kai. you can buy one day tour to Phi Phi from there.

If you will stay in Bangkok till Saturday - Sunday , I suggest you go to JaTuJak market for shopping (BTS Mo Chit), if you don't like outdoor , you can go to Platinum fashion mall. (it's next after Central World)

(:

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

Step 1 - Decide if this is a honeymoon or a backpacking adventure.

Step 2 - Decide if you both want to waste your valuable holiday time inspecting numerous accommodation options in each location.

Step 3 - Never assume it will be quiet in Feb/March ;)

What I'm saying is, book your accommodation in advance. You will save very few baht by walking in. These places are not so desperate that they will give you a rate better than what they give to wholesalers who are buying hundreds of room nights at a time.

Of course you're free to do as you choose, these are just my thoughts.

Cheers.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

You're wrong to assume that February March will be low season. In fact its peak season in the far east Jan-March. Also, Chinese new year falls in February and hotels are always busy then as they are around valentines day. Sometimes Easter falls in March and again hotels are pretty full and many charge a premium over the Easter period (gala dinners etc).

As for getting better deals by calling in at the hotel never tried it but many have and they say they get better rates booking in advance on line. Do you really want to be trawling round with cases in 100% humidity and searing heat looking for rooms on your honeymoon? If you don't know the island well you'll soon rack up a lot of money in cab fares (which are more expensive in Samui as they won't use their meters).

As for hotel recommendations we can't help until you tell us your budget and what you're looking for. Do you want quiet and romantic, party zone central, modern minimalist or traditional thai style of accomodation? Give us more information on your preferences and I'm sure the TA experts will help out.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

Hi

Agree with both twiggyrex and Prince Feb is till peak season, valentines day can be very busy and as well as chiness new year even though chiness new year is not public holiday in Thailand but there will be a lot of domestic travellers ( Thai chiness) take the holiday at this time of year as well the traveler from other Asian countries.

Pleas keep in mind I think Easter come early too next year around march but not quite certain what dates.

I would highly recommende book you accoms in advance as well as your internal flights. If you're flying out from krabi to koh Samui there's only one flight daily but there are 5 flights daily from Phuket direct to koh Samui with Bangkok airs( only Bangkok airs fly this route).

Good luck

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your honest and very direct advice, I like it.

Reading this makes me feel silly because you're all right, what was I thinking?

I don't want to go through this crap on my honeymoon!

- Okay so book in advance, do you guys recommend booking throu accommodation websites or direct?

- If accommodation websites, which sites would you recommend I.E agoda etc.

We're looking for a nice romantic honeymoon, something with a jacuzzi in at least one of the locations. Also of course the usual things of AC, clean, good service, and I believe we'd like modern rather traditional Thai accommodation. Sea facing rooms would be a great bonus if I can find them reasonably priced.

Budget would be around 3000-5000Baht.

Of course, some destinations we would book something around 5000-6000baht and other we would like to stay in a bunglow accomidation and get that different side of it as well.

Thanks

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

Web booking agent sometime you can better rate also contact the hotel direct too. In Thailand I often use sawadee.com/ site once book you have a few days to pay deposit so if you like some of the hotel book it and you can change your mind if you get a better deal in the same property with others site and you pay the rest of money before you go. The site are Thai own but very good reputable company. Booking.com/ also good as often you can book and pay at the resort when check out not before hand but make sure you read the fine print of whoever you're book with.

There are also

Expedia.com/

Asiawebdirect.com/

For koh Samui have a look at either south chaweng beach or cheongmon beach these two beaches are beautiful with soft white sand clear water good for swimming. You will find plenty of your price range.

There are

Samui paradise beach resort

Samui resotel

Bannana fan sea resort

These are in south chaweng beach and should fits in with your budget.

Imperial boat house

Samui honey cottage

White House

These above are on cheongmon beach.

All the resorts mentions are beach front some of them have villas type room with ocean front.

Note cheongmon beach are quieter than south chaweng beach and only 10 mins by taxi from each others.

Have fun :)

Edited: 27 September 2012, 10:58
9. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 09:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie in Thailand, Please Advice :)

I agree with contacting hotels directly for prices, BUT also look around at prices on different websites to compare. I did find that, with a few hotels (including those with a booking function on their website, so, you could make a real-time booking straight away), I got better prices by contacting them via email instead of what their own website (and other third-party sites) were asking for.

Have a good trip!