We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Injections needed?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Injections needed?

Hey,

I'm staying in Koh Samui for 3 weeks in March 2013, will I need any jabs before then (Jap ence, rabies etc.), or should I be alright at the time and place?

Thanks

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Injections needed?

Hi Robert.

Have been to Samui many times now and going again next April and never have any shots whatsoever.

Cheers Bob.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Injections needed?

Everyone is different. Some vaccinate, some don't. Please consult your GP. No one here knows your medical history or what you or others in your family may be most at risk of.

Cheers.

Beijing
Level Contributor
200 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Injections needed?

You might wanna get a jab against Saturday night fever because that one can be lethal.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Injections needed?

Hi there

Yes take Prince's advice see your own GP. However for me and my family we always make sure we are up to date with Hep A and Typhoi and Tetanus.

Cheers,

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Injections needed?

I agree.... We just got tetanus boosters and Hep A and B shots, along with typhoid. Our GP also recommended anti malaria pills.

6. Re: Injections needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 02:05
New Zealand
Level Contributor
986 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Injections needed?

Hi Rob

It is an individual choice as to what to get and what not to get and something you should discuss with your own doctor. Different factors for each person need to be considered such as your own heath.

Give the below link a read over so you have some idea of the recommendations before you talk to your doctor.

mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/thailan…

I have been travelling to Thailand for 9 years and we have the following..

Hepatitis A followed with a booster after 6mths

Typhoid – opps I think this is well overdue for me!

Tetanus

But I am not rigid about having vaccines as the only reason I have tetanus up to date is because I needed it in NZ last year after an accident. My Typhoid is overdue and Hep A is still in my system from quite some time back.

Hep B is sometimes given with Hep A, called Twinrix

There has been an interesting discussion on the Bangkok forum about Rabies recently with a lot of people saying to get Rabies vaccines. I have never had a rabies shot and have been bitten by a monkey and fallen over with bad grazes in a bat cave, phew!

There a loads of people that don’t have anything and never have issues but

We always eat off the street stalls and share food a lot with Thai friends from the same plate and utensils, hands etc.

I am not one to believe hotel food is any safer than street food, in fact I find it sits around longer especially in low season.

It’s good to hear feedback from fellow T/A members but at the end of the day they are not qualified to give someone they don’t know medical advice.

I have not heard of many people taking Malaria tabs for Samui, Dengue fever is more of a concern so therefore ensure you have and use a good repel especially during the day.

Most importantly ensure you travel with a good insurance policy.

Enjoy you trip!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
986 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Injections needed?

lol Adrian :)

I wish I had known there was a vaccine for that one. Can you get one for Friday night also?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Injections needed?

Thaimusic if you're going to follow Adrien advice you will need 7 of them as we all know there's no weekend when you're on holiday :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
986 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Injections needed?

Sprung. I know :)

Ummmm I was thinking of asking if there was a long term version :)

Then I always need a cheer up vaccine for when I get home to reality :(