We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in Dec/Jan

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
Save Topic
Rain in Dec/Jan

I was in Thailand over New Years 2011/2012 and will be going back over the same period this year. We were in Koh Samui in the first week of January this year and it poured with rain every day that we were there. I just wanted to find out if this is usual weather for that time? I know that December/January is the rainy season in the Gulf of Thailand but all websites say its usually short bursts of rain whereas we had storms and continuous rain for 3 days solid. I would like to spend more time on the beaches this time around... Although its a bit late since we've already booked our trip.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

Dec/Jan isn't a good period to visit Samui, just the end of monsoon season. I suggest you the Andaman coast, you have plenty of choice in that area.

Hi!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,651 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

This link gives some useful statistics:

http://www.kohsamui.org/weather

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

Hi Guys.

We certainly wouldn't do Samui in December/January as more than likely you will get torrential rain at times and sometimes you may get flooding in the streets for eg????. If it's not to late to change venues I would go to Khao Lak or Phuket on the other side which should????? be experiencing perfect weather at that time of the year.

If you do insist on Samui I hope you guys will be lucky and have some nice weather though.

Good Luck.

Cheers Bob & Chris.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

Fly over to the west side, you are more than likely going to get rained out again. Frankly I would rather stay home than waste my money watching it rain :)

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

Hi

I think a bit too late as you're already booked. Dec -Jan its tails end of reainy season and keep in mind every year weather change for better or not so good.

Koh Samui has tropical climates its alsways rains even in dry season.

For your and my sake I hpoe the weather will be good this year. We will there just before NYE and right through to Jan.

Good luck

Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

The link given in this Topic would indicate December/January is a great time to visit for good weather. My wife and I will be in Samui in January and before booking we spoke to many friends who have been at that time of year and they all said the weather was great for them in January.

Enjoy your holiday and don't worry about the weather. It is out of your control anyway.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

Maybe try to do second of January at this time. but it seems like climate is always changing. :S

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

This graph shows it very clearly indeed and you can see how on average over the years the rain drops off in January, and then it is fine weather onwards

www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php…

Even so the amount of rain in January on average is way lower than places such as Phuket have April to October and people still go there.

Do enjoy your holiday, I am sure you will, hey if it rains grab and umbrella and go singing in the rain :) - honestly you can enjoy whatever if you set your heart on it

Edited: 11 October 2012, 08:09
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

For weather statistic check on here www.travelfish.org/weather/Thailand

Hope this help

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain in Dec/Jan

hi guys

lived here for 10 years

possibility of rain in January is slim

our monsoon has started already and is usually November and can go into December and janruary but that's not the normal pattern

weather patterns are changing world wide so nothing is certain

but wouldnt change my plans on weather predictions

its still 27 degrees here even when its raining

phuket has 5 to 8 months of good weather on average

samui has 10 months of good weather on average

cheers

Dean cleeton