We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

Hello,

My fiance and I are planning on spending around 1 week in Koh Samui for our honeymoon in January 2013.

What is a good area to stay? I was told to avoid Chaweng beach, as it is very busy and touristy. Because it's our honeymoon, we are after somewhere a bit quieter and more relaxed and chilled. Bophut beach sounds appealing.

(I'm not looking at specific hotels at this stage, just for recommendations about a general area to stay, eg Bophut Beach vs Lamai Beach vs Choeng Mon Beach etc etc).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

Bophut is great as it's close to Fishermans Village, great for dinner, shops etc. However the beach is not the best on the island.

Cheong Mon is a lovely beach and close to a few shops etc.

Do you want to be within walking distance to shops etc for meals? If not you can look at Tongsai Bay hoel(only hotel on the beach by itself).

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

Hi

Agree with steph if the beach are your top priority then bophut are not for you but they have lots of more up market resorts to choose from.

For the beautiful beach and you don't want chaweng then perhaps Chaweng noi ( half way between chaweng and lamai beach) or cheong mon beach.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

hi guys bophut is nice and easy to get around the local area

new couples hotel is called akaryn

give it a view its close to choeng mon

January is busy busy season so don't delay too long before booking some accommodation and a not so touristy area will be hard to find

look at tongson bay and samrong bay both are small ,not touristy but need transport to party

you could try a villa rental /option for great privacy/low noise

and hire a small vehicle to visit the best beach's and a greater variety of dining options

cheers

Dean cleeton

Edited: 24 October 2012, 03:51
Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

We are staying in the Taling Ngam area "sunset Beach Resort & Spa for 3 days. We wanted secluded luxury villas right on the beach just to chill & relax as we are driving over from Phuket we plan to drive 1 day to chaweng whilst in KS & drop car off & check out the touristy area but we will be heading to Bangkok for a week after to do any major shopping. I hope we have picked a nice area as we have never been before to KS only ever stayed in Phuket. :)

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

Shazgara ..Taling ngam area are more secluded, quieter but see you have a car you will be ok to travel to and from.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

Stay at Bophut I saw they is new one opening citinurbanasamui, it look seems nice place to go. I might going there next year same too (:

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

I like Bhoput and Choeng Mon but for different reasons. Bhoput is a bigger more developed resort (but not as much as Chaweng) so it has a greater choice of shops, bars and restaurants. Although its more developed than other areas of Samui, its still more laid back and has a generally more upmarket atmosphere than Chaweng. Personally I don't mind the beach but then I'm a pool person. The beach still looks great (whitish sands) but its not powder soft (its more grainy) so if soft sands a deal breaker then don't stop here.

I love Choeng Mon because its relatively undeveloped. Most of the hotels are beachfront and there's about 20 or so bars and restaurants beachside and in the High Street (which is a tiny road that you can walk the length of in less then 5 minutes). The beach for me is perfect. Lovely soft white sand, clean water, stunning views across the bay to Tongsai and six senses and it doesn't have the same amount of hawkers, timeshare touts and noisy jetskis/ watersports that Chaweng has. Its more tranquil than Bhoput and has a more villagey feel to it but you won't get the same variety of places to eat, drink and shop as Bhoput. If soft sands a deal breaker then stay here but only if you're happy to travel 10 mins by cab to a busier resort.

Tongson Bays also very nice (by the Melatai) but less choice again of places to eat and drink. Very undeveloped but taxis or cars will be needed to get you to the busier resorts 10 minutes. I haven't spent much time in recent years in or near Lamai but it has always had a thriving sex trade. While its less developed and westernised than Chaweng, on your honeymoon would you really want to stay in the area that has the greatest density of girly bars. Seen and heard some of the oinks slobbering over the girls in the red light district of Chaweng and yuch - poor girls is all I can say.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
992 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

I personally prefer Bophut as it has some great eating places, reasonable shopping and the Fisherman's Village is one of my favourite things ever. The beach is not as fabulous as others on Samui - but that is not so important to me as we have pretty nice beaches here in Australia so the surrounding areas are more important. I personally found Bophut far less seedy than all of Chaweng but for south which was okay.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

My suggestion is on the south side of the island on Natien Beach. There were a number of couples on their honeymoon staying on the resort. You can then hire a bike or motor vehicle and get to the more popular areas of the island. Natien Beach is unspoiled and an ideal location to relax and enjoy the time together. This area is about 30 minutes south of Chaweng Beach and costs around 400 Baht or $14 AUD

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What part of Koh Samui to stay in?

My suggestion is on the south side of the island on Natien Beach. There were a number of couples on their honeymoon staying on the resort. You can then hire a bike or motor vehicle and get to the more popular areas of the island. Natien Beach is unspoiled and an ideal location to relax and enjoy the time together. This area is about 30 minutes south of Chaweng Beach and costs around 400 Baht or $14 AUD