We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

Koh Samui is going to be a part of our trip (Singapore, Bangkok, Koh Samui), and is supposed to be a nice and relaxing 6 nights.

We are a young couple from Australia and our preference is a 5 star hotel, preferably with a room/balcony that opens to ocean, near a clean beach.

We don't want anything too isolated but we also don't want to be right in the middle of a busy/noisy beach either. Location-wise we are looking for something closer to the main attractions of Koh Samui.

Also I am interested to know if there are hotels that offer good and yet cheap massages nice ambiance and a 5 star breakfast.

Budget is not unlimited but I have some room to spend, just want a nice relaxing holiday while being close to a clean beach and also close to the main attractions.

Also I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me about some of the main fun activities, bars, restaurants, shops, and any other attractions in koh Samui.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

The main attractions of Koh Samui are the beaches, other than that the island is pretty small and easy to navigate, certainly worth hiring a car to get out and about.

The 4 beaches to look at would be:

South Chaweng - if you want something with a bit of a vibe, but not so full on as Central Chaweng with plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping and a nice, white sand beach.

Chaweng Noi - southern most beach of the Chaweng run, much quieter, beautiful beach, less in the way of restaurants and bars, mostly those connected to hotels/bungalows. Some nice accommodation, but if you want to get a choice of shopping and restaurants will need to grab taxi/songthaew of a bit of a walk.

Choeng Mon - if you want something a little quieter, has less variety of restaurants and bars, but more laid back than Chaweng. Stunning little crescent shaped beach.

Bophut - if you want somewhere a bit more upmarket, with boutique style and atmospheric shops set in old, converted Chinese shop houses. Lots of eating options, nice relaxing beachside bars - beach is not the best on Samui compared to others, but still very pleasant.

Sweetpea is an expert on hotels, so if you let us know what beach sounds up your street, she can give you a run down of suitable accommodation (as I'm sure others can).

Edited: 22 November 2012, 02:54
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

Hi there! We are heading to Koh samui at the end of jan for our honeympon. we are staying at nora beach resort and spa. It's at the north end of chaweng beach and has its own little beach out the back. It's close enough to the main beach and shops (5min) but still far enough away to be a bit quieter and allow us to relax! It's on trip advisor hotels - check it out :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

When the tide goes out at the north end you basically can't swim as it's a very shallow lagoon and can also be quite rocky, fine if this isn't an issue.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

I think Bophut or Choeng Mon would suit you. I love the south of Chaweng but it doesn't really have any 5* hotels and is probably still a bit too lively to what you are looking for.

Sala Samui is a 5* on Choeng Mon beach and has great reviews. The negative for some people is that the villas are all enclosed (great for privacy but not so great if you are looking for views). As Cassnu said, it is on a gorgeous beach that has some bars and restaurants but isn't really busy. Tongsai Bay Cottages are in the next bay and it is also worth looking at. Hopefully our regular Twiggyrex will see the post and let you know all about it.

Fisherman's Village in Bophut is a lovely spot with a more upmarket feel. Lots of great restaurants and bars around. Have a look at Hansar or the beachfront villas at Anantara.

Most hotels have their own spas and the prices are usually a lot more expensive than on the beach etc. There are good massages to be had pretty much anywhere for 3-400BT so you will be fine there. It often is personal preference as to what you are looking for - a luxury experience in a spa or a good massage on the beach while listening to the waves etc :)

KS is a small island. Unless you stay somewhere like Conrad you are pretty much 10-20 minutes taxi ride from all the main attractions. If you are looking at hotels and wondering if they are isolated etc, have a look at the hotel on Sawasdee and click on "location", it then shows you the hotel and other hotels around it. You can get a pretty good idea of if you are in the middle of nowhere etc then.

Of course, if you narrow your choices down, you can always come back here and usually someone will be familiar with the hotel or location and be able to give more information :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

Thanks for all the replies.

Although I couldnt get a very clear idea, based on the above I think either South Chaweng or Bophut (who named these places) is probably more suitable or even something closer to fisherman village.

As mentioned we want a clean swimable beach, 5 star breakfast and preferably a room right next to ocean so we can have the door open at night and fall sleep listening to the waves. During the day we want to go out and about and won't be in the room much.

I have heard in Thailand you have to be careful with food so we want a place that has really good breakfast too.

Based on what was said I think getting a massage at the beach is probably a better idea.

Which hotels and also which rooms in those hotels are recommended?

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

I wouldn't be so cautious with food to the point where you avoid eating any local food, as that would be a real shame! You also don't need to just stick with hotel restaurants for meals.

Thailand is no different to other places - Unless you have a very sensitive stomach, I say to go for it and be adventurous! Look up the restaurant reviews here on TA, if you want a good starting point. A good website to check out is: http://www.eatingthaifood.com/

Street food, for example, is something some tourists will avoid, but actually (and this would be the case with most stalls, especially popular ones), the turn-over is so fast that there's no opportunity for food to just be sitting there in the heat.

Edited: 22 November 2012, 05:40
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

"We are a young couple from Australia and our preference is a 5 star hotel, preferably with a room/balcony that opens to ocean, near a clean beach."

I was looking for something similar last year and we decided on Hansar Samui in Bophut. It really was a terrific choice. Not many properties can boast that each room has a sea view but Hansar Samui offers this. Very close to the Fisherman's village, great views, great service, sensational infinity pool and one of the best restaurants on the island. We've already booked to return next year.

Depending on which month you're travelling, they have some very good rates on offer (from around $180 per night incl breakfast) plus they've just recently been awarded the title of '2012 Worlds best boutique beach hotel'. You can read more about it here …tumblr.com/post/35190563444/2012-best-bouti…

We also stayed at Poppies in south Chaweng. Honestly, we didn't think much of Chaweng itself, even the south. It's busy, noisy and smelly in the streets (not talking nice smells or cooking smells) We were given cottage 101 which is the very closest to the beach. The cottages are nice but the outdoor areas lack privacy (none of the other cottages have beach views as far as I know). Lovely little property but I didn't find that it matched the service or room standards of Hansar despite Poppies being more expensive.

Cheers.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,562 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

South Chaweng, Centara Grand hotel - check it out. Lovely beach, 4/5*, nice brekki, balcony!

You can get a massage on the beach, a massage along the street. I prefer going into a shop along the Street and 'My Friend' is always welcoming! They have a chain of shops and all the girls wear orange!

Rubbish about the food!! If you eat freshly prepared food that arrives at the table piping hot (temp) you won't go wrong! It is the lack of hygiene (washing hands), too much alcohol and sun / heat, not enough water that causes as much an issue that folks put down to food! Street food carts normally are good value for excellent food!

We HATE eating in hotels. Only exception is the restaurant at Poppies, which has one of the best Thai meals you will find!

Have fun!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

I would say the Hansar in bophut probably would suit you, the beach isn't as nice as south chaweng but it's on Fishermans village doorstep so good for restaurant and bar options.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to pick a 5* hotel in Koh Samui - Need Help

Never been sick in all the years I've been going to Thailand, worst food poisoning was in Australia - more likely to get sick at big hotel where food is kept warm rather than somewhere where it is freshly prepared.