We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International flights from Koh Samui

Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
International flights from Koh Samui

I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to find one way flights from Koh Samui to Melbourne, Australia. Websites either only have return options, or want to search from Melb to Koh Samui, not the other way around. The ones I have managed to find seem quite expensive and have 2 stopovers meaning a long trip home - with 2 kids involved. I haven't found any of the information I'm after through the links on this site. Can anyone assist in this area? From my research, it seems cheaper to fly back to Bangkok on Nokair then get a cheap direct flight from there. Or maybe a similar deal from Phuket which seems closer than Bangkok? What sort of distance would it be from Koh Samui to Phuket, and what are the safest/most direct ways to get there with rough prices?

Thanks heaps

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

Flights from Samui to Phuket are expensive. The Nok Air flights you mention involved a ferry and bus transfer to a mainland airport and then a flight to Bangkok's Don Muang airport, and you'll then need to get to Suvarnabhumi airport unless you use Air Asia. Any flight directly in or out of Samui to destinations in Thailand is very expensive. Firefly fly to Kuala Lumpur from Samui but that would likely entail a lengthy change of airports too. I believe Silk Air fly Samui to Singapore so that might be worth looking at.

Its invariably cheaper to book roundtrip tickets to, for example, Bangkok or Phuket, as a hub and then use local transport (trains, bus, budget flights) for whatever you need to do.

Edited: 08 December 2012, 04:38
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

If you're trying to find a flight direct from Samui to Melbourne you will not be able to do it, there are no direct flights.

You're probably best to look for a flight from Samui to either Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore and then direct onto Melbourne.

Going on from bbtony's suggestion you might want to look at his suggested flights on Silk Air to Singapore and then Scoot from Singapore to Melb.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

We are flying Thai airways as we have a stop over in BKK on the way home.

So, we are doing Melb to Samui via BKK, then Samui to BKK, few days in BKK then BKK to Melb. It didn't come cheap, $2300 return for the two of us. We could have waited for them to come on special, or fly Air Asia and have more stop overs but it wasn't worth it for us, we preferred this option as be have really good connections and flight times.

Last year we flew Jetstar to BKK return. And flew Bangkok airways to Samui and back. It was around $200 cheaper but we did have to do an overnight in BKK on the way out due to bad flight times.

We could have saved about $400 using Air Asia, but then we had crap flight times, and it was a much longer, round about journey with a stopover in KL each way.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

I use the matrix fare comparison website to see prices and schedules but as the others have said there's no direct frlights to Melbourne.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

Samui to Mel is a pain or expensive. If you go SIN you have an 8 hour stop over in SIN. Best to go USM to BKK then BKK to MEL.It s cheaper to Fly USM to HKT to MEL but here are no direct flight to MEL so you need to stop in SIN or SYD. I personally think you are better to go back to BKK then get a direct flight to MEL.

If you do KL you need to change airports.

I have searched heaps of alternative and have decided to go SIN and go into town for the 8 hours but not travelling with kids. Silk air of Bangkok air from USM to SIN is expensive. I would go to BKK then BKK direct to MEL if you have kids. Check different days as some flights only go on alternate days.

Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I will have to do some more investigating, using all the help I got here. Maybe the same ferry/bus to airport & flight to BKK. I have found $400 flights to BKK, $91 transfers to Koh Tao incl all 3 modes of transport, and hope to get similar deals going back.

Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

Why didn't you book return tickets in the first place?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,667 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

Hi

Why not get tickets from Samui to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore, and then fly from there, it will work out cheaper.

But agree with Tonys last comment .. .

Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I will have to do some more investigating, using all the help I got here. Maybe the same ferry/bus to airport & flight to BKK. I have found $400 flights to BKK, $91 transfers to Koh Tao incl all 3 modes of transport, and hope to get similar deals going back.

Thanks

Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International flights from Koh Samui

Thanks