We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Weather

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Current Weather

Hi all,

We are about to come to koh samui on Tuesday, but weather forecasts suggest that the weather is not great at all.

Is there anyone here currently livn or staying on the island that can give me a better idea of what s currently like and whether I'm likely to get much snorkelling or diving in the year

Thanks n advance for any replies!

M

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Weather

Hi.

Don't worry about the weather forecasts you are reading. As a rule they are wrong most of the times. Have a look at the live WEBCAMS and at least they will show you exactly what is happening at the time.

Cheers Bob & Chris.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Weather

http://www.tmd.go.th/EN/province.php?id=72

Forecast is showing nice warm days with 30% chance of showers which in a tropical climate during it's monsoon season is pretty good. Weather at this time of year is very unpredictable.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Weather

You can check here what the actual weather is like today, but as lushlynds says it's the tail end of monsoon season so you can expect rain at some time being a tropical climate.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Weather

Even on the assumption that the weather will be somewhat kind, the seas may still be rough which could put a slight dampener on some of your ocean going activity plans. The odds aren't really in the travellers favour to have both good weather and clam seas during monsoon season.

Just something to consider.

Cheers.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Weather

Forgot to put the link to the webcam:

www.samuiwebcam.com/

Looks to be a fairly nice day.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 00:53
London
Level Contributor
19 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Weather

Thanks everyone, sounds a bit better, forecast obviously are exaggerated in terms of th stormy weather, I'm hoping hat by Tuesday things may have passed as it supposed to be the end of the season of monsoons.

Sadly the webcams won't open on my iPad, so will check Hesse out on a lap top shortly!

Hopefully we can get a little swimmimg in.

I would guess that after koh samui getting a ferry then bus to koh lanta is not such a great idea with the rough seas, better to fly?..

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current Weather

Don't assume seas will be rough, they looked pretty calm on the webcam, FreshPrince was merely stating that they could be changeable as it's an unpreditable time of year and even though it's officially the end of monsoon, nature doesn't always abide by these cut off dates. You'd probably find flights are booked up - you would still have to get a ferry at some point to Koh Lanta as there's no airport there. As I said, the weather on the webcam looked pretty good to met and the storm icons you see on the weather reports don't necessarily mean there will be a storm it just means there is storm activity about, very common for a tropical country.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current Weather

Excellent thanks so much, will look into the travelling situation shortly, but as you describe very well we might very well not get any bad weather or lots of it who knows, I will keep fingers crossed!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current Weather

I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever the weather throws at you ;) It's an aspect of vacations that no one can control or predict.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current Weather

Staying on bophut now and it is clear blue with bright sunshine and 32 degrees.

Huge storm 3 days ago. Having stayed on 2 separate occasions on the island for a combined total of 3 weeks, the forecasts have not once been right.

Have a good holiday!