We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

Hi! I'm looking for a recommendation of where to stay on Koh Samui. I'm travelling with my boyfriend and we'd like something romantic with a picturesque beach. However, we don't want to be completely secluded. We'd like to be able to walk to bars and restaurants but we don't need a crazy all night bar scene. We really want to feel like we're in Thailand (authentic food, not completely touristy). Is that possible on Koh Saumi?

Our budget is <$350/night. This is our splurge portion of the trip so we'd like to stay somewhere really memorable!

Thanks so much in advance for your tips!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

Choeng Mon would be my choice. If you don't want somewhere overly touristy then Chawengs not for you as its the most developed and touristy place on the island. Lamais smaller but too many girly bars for me to be classed as a romantic holiday destination.

Choeng Mons a beautiful beach with great views. Its a small relatively undeveloped area of Samui still with a thai village feel to it when compared to the rest of the island. There's about 20 or so bars and restaurants and bars beachside and in the main street. The foods great in all of them. If you fancy a busier night then both Bhoput and Chaweng are only 10 minutes away by cab.

Try Sala Samui and the Imperial Boathouse as they're the best hotels on that stretch of beach.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

Thank you so much! That was immensely helpful! I really appreciate it!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

Check out Sala Samui in Cheong Mon. Gorgeous five star hotel which will be in budget and in a beautiful beach.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

two posts above

totally on the mark

boat house is getting dated ,but more authentic thai

cheers

dean cleeton

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

Thank you all! I booked SALA based on your great recommendations. Thank you!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

Great news, hope you have a fabulous time :)

7. Re: Lamai, Choeng Mun, or South Chaweng

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 06:17