We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
686 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit

Hi Guys

After searching other forums on Thailand it seems Koh Samui is possibly the best island to visit for a first visit to Thailand.My question is ..Is 10 nights too long for this island holiday or am i better off taking in a two centre like Bangkok or somewhere else?Also is there enough to do for a couple?We like the beach, walking, and restaurant and evening drinks along with sightseeing and tours.Hoping to travel April/May.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Travelling from Dublin so any tips on best way to get there ie least stopovers etc

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit

No time is too long for me on KS! I have spent a month there quite a few times and it never seems long enough.

If you are into chilling out, eating good food, spending time on the beach/pool etc I dont' think 10 days is too much. You can take day trips to the Angthong Marine Park, Koh Tao or Koh Phangan etc if you want to do some busier stuff. Also if you hire a car for the day, it is easy to drive yourself around the island and you can stop off where you like (just get an International Drivers Permit before you come).

If you think it may be too long in one place, why not spend say 3 nights on Koh Tao or Koh Phangan for something different. They are both easily accessible by ferry from KS.

I can't help with the flight thing though sorry. Happy planning :)

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit

Hi

Welcome to koh Samui forum :-)

10 days you will wish to have it longer honestly. There are so much to see and do as well as do nothing or do little.

If you have 10 days total I would suggest do Bangkok before or after koh samu at least 2 nights. Bangkok is shopper heaven and a must city to visit after all this is heart and soul of Thailand.

So that's leave koh Samui 8 days with that time you will have plenty of time to visit neighboring islands the like of koh nangyaun, koh Tao and koh phanagan also Angthong marine national park.

Ask away if you need info regarding which beach or accoms :-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
686 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply,In your experience can you recommend a decent quality hotel for a couple of 40 somethings:-)Also is there plenty to see and do.Im expanding the wings this year :-) after holidaying in Egypt the last few years so heat wont be a problem to us.Any tips or info you can throw my way i would appreciate it.My friend recommends Phi Phi but somehow im attracted to Koh Samui.

Thanks Again.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit

Would you mind sharing you thought on budget. As they are many decent hotel on the island and they are different in prices.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
686 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit

Hi Sweetpea

Without sounding rude or cocky price not too much of an issue (company bonus):-) paying for this.But obviously within reason so i suppopse €1200-€1500 for 10 nights for two people be ok.. wild guess by the way.Thanks for your help.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit

That's not rude at all the reason I'd ask because is easy to narrow it down with budget in mind :-)

Check out

Poppies beach resort Thai style bungalow small boutiques types hotel

Banana fan sea reosrt Thai style bungalow

Cnetara grand beach reosrt big resort big pool big ground big spaces

Samui paradise beach resort small boutiques types resort

These properties are on south chaweng beach, the beach here are one of the best with white soft sand still raltively quite, easy walk to bars and restaurants both on the beach and on the main Chawng beach road. They also beach front. The resort will provides you with sun bed, umbrellas and beach towels.

Have a look and see what you think. Let's us know they are many beaches I want to suggest too but time to work. Will get back to you a bit later :-)

Cheers,

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
686 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit

Hi Sweetpea

Thanks so much for your educated response on this resort your obviously very knowledgeable about this area.I will definately take a look at your suggestions and get back to you with my choices to hopefully narrow it down.

By the way are there any vaccinations or Visa requirements for Thailand?

Hopefully hear from you tomorow... enjoy work and thanks so much.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit

Visitors from Ireland are permitted to stay up to 30 days.

You should get a tetanus/diptheria shot and a hepatitis A / typhoid one, but that is only my opinion. You should check with your doctor.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit

I would still do a couple of days in Bangkok as it's a very vibrant city with lots to see and do and you will have to transit there anyway on the way or from Samui.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit

Hi

As Nairobi says with Irish passport holder you don't need visa. Upon arrival you will be grant visa waiver stamp for 30 days. Immunization you better seek from you own GP. But we always have hep a, b and typhoid.

If you want quieter then checkout these two beaches

Chaweng noi beach ( my number one favorite beach) noi in that mean samll hence the name noi the beach are small beautiful quieter than south chaweng beach. with just a few resorts around and a few restaurants ( independent) to be had on the beach, most restaurants and bars are attached to the resorts. But more in the Mai Street ( bit up hill)

Checkout

Impiana

Imperail beach resort

New star villas

Vana belle ( schedule to be open 20th of this month)

You can walk to south chaweng beach for more options of restaurants and bars or use taxi/ songhteaw or use hotel shuttle.

Cheongmon beach, the beach are the same quality as south chaweng and chaweng noi but again quieter than south chaweng beach.

Checkout

Imperial boat house ( sister properties to imperail beach resort)

Sala Samui

Hopefully some of them meet your criteria. This is just roughly idea as I have no idea as how much conversions from € to baht.

Cheers,