We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maenam hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Maenam hotel

Hi guys,

i posted a question about another hotel in Maenam beach, but no reply.So I wonder if you have any info about Fair House Villas in Maenam.

I have read the reviews and it seems good, has anyone been to the hotel?Any advice regarding types of villas or rooms?

We want peace and quiet , but being able to go for a meal or a walk without spending a fortune in taxis.

They offer free shuttle buses as well.

Any advice??

Many thanks again.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maenam hotel

I would check with them when they offer their shuttle service as they want to keep a captive audience during the evening hours when people want to go out for dinner, otherwise you could walk (about 1.5km) to either Bophut, although the main part of Bophut would be further away or to Maenam, but I think you'd really need transport to go to either of these places.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maenam hotel

Bophut isn't a busy place and you would be able to walk to Fishermans village in the evening so for me would be a better option than Maenam.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maenam hotel

If you want peace and quite but still be able to stumble out of the hotel into a good selection of local restaurants I would highly recommend Choeng Mon. Its a beautifully tranquil part of the island with about 20 or so bars and restaurants within 2 minutes walk of all the hotels in that area. The beach is one of the best on the island.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maenam hotel

hi guys

mae nam has a great selection of restaurants as well as its own walking street on thursday nights and the street food is great

walks down maenam beach also will surprise you whats there

so you dont need taxis unless you want to go elsewhere

small jeep will cost 600 thai baht per day [depending on your bargaining skills]

and may be cheaper than 2 taxi rides

cheers

Dean cleeton

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maenam hotel

Thanks for your replies.

I'm in the process of booking directly with the hotel ( Fair House).

They say they offer a shuttle bus to Chaweng and to Bophut if requested, 3 times a day, which should cover our needs.

But on the 2nd part of our hols we may stay in Choeng Mon, to be decided after few days in Koh Phangan.

Few more questions:

1-We have hotels booked for Koh Phangan, but we left our last 5 nights opened, because we can either extend our stay in Koh Phangan ( so far 3 nights booked in Thong Nai Pan) or return to Koh Samui for few more nights or go back to Bangkok earlier.Do you think it's ok to do so? I'm a bit concerned with not booking anything now and then be without options if leaving until the last minute.

2-I have booked our tickets with Bangkok Airways one way to Koh Samui from Bangkok,because we don't know if we want to return to Bankgok for one or 2 nights before our flight back to UK.

Is it wise to do so? Just a little apreehensive as I always book everything before leaving UK, but have been advised to leave a bit of 'open space' at the end and see how things flow when we are there....!!

3-From KS to KP,we are planning the ferryboat and then a taxi to TNP, the hotel charges 1500baht for the transfer, isn't it a bit expensive compared to a normal taxi? We plan to arrive around midday.

Is it necessary to book tickets for the ferryboat in advance? we are leaving on a Wednesday.

Sorry, but last question: I'm planning to travel with a suitcase ( large..), how inconvenient this would be in KP? I don't want to spend more money on a backpack, that I'll never use again, but at the same time don't want to be the only one travelling with a suitcase..although husband can carry it or roll it.

Guys, you've been great, and I'm amazed the amount of info and knowledge you have, and so kind to share with the novices.

Thanks again.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maenam hotel

1. Depends on time of year, if it's not peak season then you will be able to find a hotel no problem.

2. Same answer as above, but those flights do get pretty booked up so if they were you would have to take alternatives, like fly from Surat Thani, overnight train or at a push a bus and allow enough time for each.

3. No.

4. It'll be ok, lots of people of suitcases, even on KP.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maenam hotel

thanks so much for the reply.

Will book plane tickets asap.

Do you know Koh Phangan very well? We are staying in TNP, at Buri Rasa.

Any other nice beaches to visit white staying there? I've heard that transport won't be easy inland, maybe longtails boats to other beaches?

I have booked 3 nights, but tempted to extend our stay for one more night, what do you think? Enough to get to know the island from TNP or should i go to another beach?

Thanks.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maenam hotel

You could head round to Bottle Beach for the day or for lunch and a swim, but there are plenty of lovely beaches to visit.

TNP is definitely one of the less accessible beaches, but one of the most beautiful as well, so yes extend an extra night for sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maenam hotel

Thanks Cassnu!

:))

10. Re: Maenam hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 07:16