We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket or Koh Samui?

Dormansland, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket or Koh Samui?

Hi there!

A little advice is needed!

My preference from the lurking I have done on here for a few weeks I think is Koh Samui however I realise that the weather in Phuket is much better late Jan/early Feb so I am torn between the two.

I am looking for a place that has a nice beach and has numerous restaurants to choose from within walking distance from the hotel.

I don't mind travelling to see Chaweng / Patong on a couple of nights but do not want to stay in party central area as I'm looking more for relaxation and sightseeing as opposed to partying.

Any info will be most helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Actually, at that time of year the weather is good on both coasts, so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Hi

If late Jan early Feb you should find in both places as above says. An official for rainy season in koh Samui ( gulf of Thailand ) is from October - December however the wealth can be and vary from year to year and not precisely. We were there end of year ( 2012) till early of Jan and we had some rain but just short rains not all day kinds do rain. Early Jan tails end of it.

For activity you might find Phuket offers more both on land and water based activity.

Phuket is province bigger in the area many beaches and connected to neighboring inland the like of phang -gna, krabi etc

Koh Samui is just one of the district of Surat Thani, small island. There are water based activity and neighboring islands to see. Koh Samui are more tropical island and laid back with many beaches.

If you're decides to go to koh Samui from what your criteria I think south chaweng fit in with you.

Koh Samui will coast more if fly direct but if fly to mainland, train or bus with ferry cheper to get there but be prepare for long journey.

Phuket are easy to get there as there are many airlines both budget and full service.

Hope this help :)

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Hi

Been to Samui in Jan / Feb several times, and sometimes we saw lots of rain and sometimes not. We have been to Phuket and found the same (and it should be nicer!!)

There is a bit of a myth about Chaweng. It is NOT Patong. Patong is big, it is busy along the bay. but the real busy part of Chaweng is only a small area around 400m x 400m, and then it is quieter as you move away. In Phuket we stay in Kata (village feel), but Kamala or Surin are also popular, although Nai Yang is lovely and quiet. Whilst on Samui, the southern end of Chaweng is lovely, nice restaurants without the clubs which are a 20min walk away. There is also Choeng Mon or Bophut or Chaweng Noi you could look at.

Agree with the comments about Phuket being much larger, but Samui is more quaint!

Phuket is much much easier to get to, and you can get some cheap flight deals via Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. Samui is more expensive to get to as the flights in are controlled more.

As you are unsure, read as much as you can. TA is a great website for information! We can always help you fill in the gaps!

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Kamala
Kamala
Phuket, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,140 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Nai Yang
Nai Yang
Phuket, Thailand
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng Noi Beach
Chaweng Noi Beach
1,153 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
4. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 12:35
Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

hi guys

if you choose samui try looking at choeng mon area

more relaxed ,great beach ,still great selection of dining

and close to chaweng [10 minutes ]for nightlife and 10 minutes from fishermans village [also many dining choices and night market on fridays]

cheers

dean cleeton

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Most of the hotels in Samui are located directly on the beach whereas there's only a few hotels in Phuket with direct beach access so if this is important to you it might be the deciding factor.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Dormansland, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Thanks very much for the replies.

If I was staying on Samui then Choeng Mon seems like the sort of place I would be interested in although South Chaweng sounds good too but I would have to research into the hotels there.

I would also be interested in the Kata area of Phuket or perhaps Khao Lak. We usually plan so much to do on holidays it can be quite tiring so for once we are happy just to have a holiday where we can do a few things but not have so much of a schedule and relax more.

I think my heart is really with Samui having been to Phuket before and not Samui, perhaps I should do 5 days at both!!

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Choeng Mon
Choeng Mon
Bophut, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Chrella makes a very good point about there being just so many right on the beach / absolute beachfront places to stay on Koh Samui, they vary from large hotels, small luxury boutique style and plenty of bungalow / cottage style places and you are right on the beach.

In Kata you have a few places on the beach otherwie it is a walk to the beach. I always suggest adding a couple of nights during a Koh Samui stay to spend on Koh Tao and visit Koh Nangyaun, beautiful and great snorkeling, the whole 'vibe' of Samui / Koh Tao is more laid back tropical island style. I am not knocking Kata but it is very very different indeed.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Dormansland, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Beachfront with some sort of changing room facility is a must as my partner has an aversion to sitting on the beach all day in wet trunks!

Thanks for the point about the hotels being right on the beach. I just made an assumption that most were.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket or Koh Samui?

I think if you can't decides which one to go then two centers holidays sounds good. Perhaps 5 nights each places.

Nowadays is easy to travel between these two area and good thing you don't have to back track yourself.

From home Bangkok you can fly to Phuket there are many airlines both full service and budget airlines.

From Phuket you can fly to koh Samui by Bangkok airways ( only Bangkok fly this route 5 flights daily). From koh Samui you can fly direct to Bangkok by either Thai airs or Bangkok airways.

Or

You could do koh Samui first then Phuket.

Only difference Phuket have more flights to and from Bangkok both budget and full service.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand