We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi v koh sumui

Notts
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Krabi v koh sumui

Hi I am having a sneaky 10 day holiday in Thailand to see my son who teaches there. I am going during Song kran would you recommend Koh Samui or Krabi. Thanks Di

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,107 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

Hi

It is rather like comparing Brighton with Blackpool or Southend with Skegness. Both nice but both different. Depends on what sort place you are looking for. Krabi is probably cheaper to get to.

What sort of holiday are you looking for?

Notts
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

We went to Koh Samet and Hui Hin and Buriram and Bangkok in October, we have done Ko Chang the year before and Phuket and Phi Phi before that, we are on a budget but like Hotels like the Amari. We have stayed in Beach Houses as well but think we prefer the nicer things. I love to dance and enjoy music but not constantly.We like to eat at nice restaurants but finances are tight, a real difficult one

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

Hi

If you'd been to those places then perhaps give koh Samui a chance. From your criteria I think south chaweng fits in with you. South chaweng is one of the best beach within walking distance to bars restaurants and 20-30 mins walk to party scenes or short taxi rides.

If you like the Amari, there's Amari palm reef beach resort in north chaweng beach. In the south chaweng something similar to Amari would be Centara grand beach resort.

As TM says krabi would be cheaper to get to from Bangkok. You can fly to Krabi no ferry required unless you are going to the islands.

To get to koh Samui you can either fly with air Asia or Nok airs to mainland + bus+ ferry.

Or

You can fly direct from Bangkok to koh samui with either Bangkok airs ( 12 flights daily) or Thai airs ( 2 flights daily)

Note : Bangkok airs and Thai airs fly ours from Suvarnnabhumi airport, air Asia and Nok airs fly out from Don Maung airport.

Happy planning

Notts
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

Koh Samui has a more tropical atmosphere than Krabi and there are more restaurant choices and better shopping, I would check out hotels in South chaweng.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,107 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

Hi

Given what you say, then yes, think that Samui just might fit the bill, however, I suspect you might like the Centara Grand along South Chaweng - nice and you feel away from most things but the busy life is just a 20min walk but some nice bars and restaurants outside the hotel! Somewhere like Bophut [with nights out to Chaweng central] might also suit you!

Pea has covered the getting there nicely!

Have fun!

Notts
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

Hi

After looking at the hotels in South Chaweng, I am struggling to find anything in the budget this time, I know the problem is I have been used to nice hotels, however this time I am travelling cheaply as it is an unplanned 8 days I have to go to Koh Samui, I will stay in Bangkok 1 day either side. Maybe a 3 star hotel, my husband would like a balcony and the beach to be very close. I want to be able to sleep at night so not to near the beach parties. although I do intend to join in with them. As anybody got a hotel they would recommend. I have looked at many opinions on trip advisor but I am quite baffled this time as to what to choose.

Help please. Diane

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

Why not stay in a less developed area such as Mae Nem or Choeng Mon. The hotels there are generally cheaper than Chaweng and the beach at Choeng Mon is (I think) better than Chaweng. Its only 10 minutes by cab to Chaweng or Bhoput if you want to party.

The White House is a 3 star in Choeng mon or there's Samui Honey cottages, Kirati, Choeng Mon beach hotel. Don't expect anything fancy because they're not.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

Did you checkout

Baan Talay beach resort

Chaweng cove resotel

San souci

Sea scape

These resorts are towards the tip end of south chaweng beach and are beach front. From these to walk to central for party probably 25-30mins so you're away from the craziness.

10. Re: Krabi v koh sumui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:18