We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many beaches?

Walton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Too many beaches?

I am just starting to plan our big 3 week Thailand trip for next year.

We will spend the first 4-5 days in Bangkok and then head south.

My initial thought was - Koh Samui, Krabi, Phi Phi and end with a week in Phuket and fly home from there. (week in Phuket because we have a 5 year old and I think there are more things to entertain him there AND we can get a good deal on a timeshare in Phuket)

I was only thinking of spending 2-3 days in each of the first 3 places. I really want to go to Koh Samui because we would like to dive and I have heard the weather may be better for diving over there in June (vs Phuket) But I could just as easily leave Koh Samui out.

So my question is...is that too many beaches in one trip? Do they each have their own appeal and things to see, or would it be redundant and just an excess of sand and water?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also...if any divers are on board ..is diving in Koh Samui usually pretty decent in June? Better than Phuket in June?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,789 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Too many beaches?

June is rainy season on the Andaman side. I would therefore rather spend time at the East Coast. E.g. on Samui and for diving at Koh Tao.

If at all, just spend the last couple of days on Phuket.

Walton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too many beaches?

Ok now I have to look up Koh Tao. :)

I was starting to think the same thing about cutting down the time in Phuket. There are still some things I would like to see there, even if it rains. But maybe 3 days or so on Phuket.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too many beaches?

I would def pass on Phuket in June. I would spread the time between Samui, and Phangan or Koh Tao (probably Koh Tao if you are keen for diving).

Walton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too many beaches?

So Koh Tao is better for diving than Koh Samui? I will need a resort with a kids club or other childcare services so we can dive. Hopefully there will be at least one on Koh Tao.

The only reason I was stopping for a day or 2 in Krabi and Phi Phi is they are on the way to Phuket from Koh Samui. :)

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too many beaches?

Hi

Yes definitely koh toa for diving as you can't dive form koh samui anyway. Most diving company operate in koh Samui will take you to koh Tao.

If you want to save time why don't fly from Phuket direct to koh Samui without stopping both on Phuket and Krabi.

With 2-3 days each places I think is would be too much of unpack and packing. You won't have time to enjoy each places beside the weather in the west coast you will be in the rainy season.

I'm with Steph just get to koh Samui, you can use Samui as your base or split your stay between koh Samui, koh pahganan and koh Tao. There are ferry/ boat operate daily all year round between these islands.

Hope this help :)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too many beaches?

If you dive from Samui you will be taken to Koh Tao area so there will be a lot of travelling to and from. You might want to post on the Koh Tao forum about a hotel with kids club. It is much smaller than Samui so I am not sure what is available.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too many beaches?

Just adding that all the packing and unpacking especially with a child would be too much in my opinion. Last trip I did 2 nights Bangkok, 1 night Samui, 3 nights Koh Tao then 10 on Samui and found it a pain to be packing up all the time.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too many beaches?

I don't think you'll find a kids club on Koh Tao, it's not that sort of place - it's not developed like Phuket, so you could stay in Samui and get a dive trip from there that will go to Koh Tao anyway. I think the Grand Centara in Chaweng has a kids clubs in Samui.

You may also be restricted by the weather on the Andaman side and find (possibly but not definitely) getting to Phi Phi could be problematic if the seas are rough, so I would say either cut out Phi Phi and Krabi altogether as that's a lot of moving around with a small child or cut out the west coast altogether as you will find plenty to keep a young child amused on the east coast. I find my kids don't need all the bells and whistles, they are happy with just a decent beach to play on.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 23:41
Walton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too many beaches?

Ok ...dive trips from Koh Samui go to Koh Tao anyway. That simplifies things. :) i will jiust stay on Samui. :)

Photos i have seen of krabi and phi phi are absolutely gorgeous and i felt like i would be missing something if i skipped them. I may rethink those stops.

I'm still going to Phuket for a few days. Even though it may rain and even though many folks said not to. I have wanted to go there for 20 years and this will likely be my only trip to Thailand. :)

Thanks for all the wonderful advice.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too many beaches?

I agree that Krabi and Phi Phi (although overcrowded) are extremely beautiful and I would keep those on the itinerary rather than Phuket, which is completely overrun with tourists.