We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Glasgow
9 posts
Save Topic
is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

I purchased a voucher for £399 for a 5 night stay in Elements Boutique Resort which allows me and my partner to stay in a room with breakfast provided. I'm wondering if I've allowed myself to be ripped off as on checking flight prices and package deals I may have been better off not buying the voucher. Please advise me asap folks so that I can arrange a refund, if needs be, within the next couple of days. I'm very stressed about this when I should be looking forward to a nice holiday without putting my finances under too much further strain.

I know I need to chill, but don't need the stress of burning too much of a hole in my sad little bank balance. I like to look on the bright side of life and hope to earn enough money in the next few months to have a happy holiday. Please help with your feedback :-)

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

£399 for 5 nights at that resort is a good price in my opinion. However, what you can afford is the main point. Only you know if the costs involved getting there are more than you can afford. What about spending money once you're there? Not quite sure how much you thought the travel costs would be?

I don't mean to be negative but from this and other posts you've made I'm getting the distinct impression that you're putting yourself under a great deal of financial pressure trying to go on this holiday, which by default will mean stress and unhappiness.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 14:26
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Hi

I think you have to weigh up between the two

the voucher and pay separate for flight / get flight and accoms combines with travel agency. Like I said to your others post you don't want to go on holiday that far and have to watch every penny. Holiday should be comfortable and happy not to stressing out.

Good luck :)

Glasgow
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Thanks Lushlynds. You're not being negative. It's better to be realistic. I can afford it if I save up for the next few months but am wondering if prices for travel will go up a lot the longer I leave it to book flights. I really want to go so a bit of scrimping and saving should be worth having the holiday experience.

Glasgow
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Thanks sweet pea. I like your words of wisdom.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Groupons are always tempting...but in this case, your flights will cost considerably more than your acommodation and it sounds like you didn't really know how expensive they would be.

Just do your sums and add up how much your flights, airport parking and spending money will be. If it adds up to more than you can afford, get your money back from the Groupon. It won't be the bargain you had hoped for and not worth the stress. Maybe a package deal works out cheaper? Flights will not go down in price, if anything they go up so don't be tempted to think that you'll get them any cheaper nearer the date. I hope it all works out for you :)

Mansfield
Level Contributor
589 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Hi Glasgow

Reading between the lines I think you already know the extra costs of flights etc to KS are currently more than you expected and maybe too much.

Ask yourself the question. Are you happy to pay an extra £2k - £2.5k on a 5 day holiday. If you are in any doubt....don't go, and get a refund from Groupon. If you still want to visit KS at some future date give yourself time to save the necessary funds and then you will be able to 'chill out' and enjoy KS and all it can offer.

australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Just letting you know we are pensioners and ALWAYS go in June which is low season. We find accommodation and flights cheaper then so we can go for 2 Weeks rather than 1 for the same price. As mentioned get a price for package deal and compare I always say the airfare is the most expensive part of the holiday in low season so once that's organized the rest is easy. In Australia some travel agents let you pay off your holiday like a lay by so maybe this could be an option for you if they do it where you are. Hope this helps and you get a lovely holiday.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Hi I agree with bez 1234 it's the flights that cost even if you book a trip to Europe from the UK for your 2nd week it usually only costs an extra 2 or 300 quid than it would for 1 week so my advice is that one week just isn't worth it and that is my story & I am sticking to it lol

Rugbygal

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

Regarding your comment in post 3. Flights will continue to go up in price and can easily double in costs.

My flights and hotel combination for March was approx $1200 when i booked 3 weeks ago, checking it today it's now well over $2900

Things will only get more expensive so why put yourself through the stress?

If you can get a refund do so then look to book a package at least 3 months in advance and you'll get a good deal on flights and accommodation and have more money to spend and enjoy on yourself on your relaxing holiday

Good luck

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is my Groupon voucher a waste of money? Please advise.

All in all, my personal choice would be to cancel the voucher, collect the money and pay for flights and accommodation more suitable to my budget and have an awesome time!!

Whatever your choice I wish you all the best xx