We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

carlisle
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi I am travelling to koh samui in March staying in lamai, I just wanted to know whether there are a lot of mosquitoes?

Thanks

Kim

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,832 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

I spent a week in Lamai/Chaweng in the last month, and got virtually no bites at all, despite being the mossies favorite dining companion.

carlisle
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Brilliant thank you for that!

Kim

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

It is a tropical country so there will always be mossies around, some areas and months more than others. You should still take precautions and put repellent on whenever you are going out as dengue carrying mosquitoes are a risk during the day not just at dawn and dusk like "regular" ones. We put it on first thing in the morning and then re-apply throughout the day.

We found that even where there were heaps, by having repellent on all the time the bites were minimised. It isn't realistic to think that you won't get bitten at all, just make sure you protect yourself and you should be OK.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

some do some don,t

spray chemicals on yourself if u do get bitten

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

There will definitely be mosquitoes around especially at night so I would always use a repellent.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

hi guys

eat garlic and chillies [like thai people]

keeps them at bay

wear loose long clothing ,dont wear /use perfumes

we use citronella and lemongrass spray

personally i dont use deet as its poisonous

if you do get bitten , we use tiger balm to take out the itch

cheers

DC

Edited: 20 February 2013, 13:43
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Just for precaution, bring the protection, can use the spray version :)

I was bite every day :)

carlisle
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks everyone I use the repellents just didn't know how bad they were in koh samui as in goa they were horrendous but Cuba didn't see one! Thanks for all your replies I have four bottles of repellent and already have two tubs of tiger balm!! Ha ha two weeks and counting!!!

9. Re: Mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 06:15