We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire KS

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire KS

Any info on car hire in KS staying 7 days do you need international lic.? 8lindy

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire KS

Hi

Yes you will need international driving permit ( is not license), you get it from your home country. The car company will never ask for it but it is for your travel insurance proposes. You will need 1 passport photo along with $37 or $39 I'm not sure now, it will last you one year.

Car hire in koh Samui you can hire it from your hotel or through the car company the like of Hertz, Avis, budget and Thaicar rentals they base at koh Samui airport but they will delivery it to your hotel.

The car hire cost depends on make, models, new or old and can cost anything from 700baht up to 2500baht.

Cheers,

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire KS

hi guys

you can also hire from some of the many independent hire companies as well

and sometimes you can save yourself a bit of commission

cheers

DC

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire KS

Just reading the FAQ on TA for International Driving permit & it say's that it is not required if you are a visitor/tourist as long as your licence is in english with photo ID. 8lindy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire KS

It's not a Thai requirement. Your travel insurance would require an IDP before they approved any claim.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire KS

FP is right, you need to mostly for coverage on your travel insurance.

It's easily obtained from the RACQ, you don't have to be a member for them to issue it to you and it's valid for a year.

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire KS

Ok I do that thanks to you all 8lindy.

Canberra
Level Contributor
574 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire KS

I think Hertz is still currently the cheapest of the big franchises. We've got a booking for two weeks in June, no pre-payment, can change if we find a better deal.

http://www.hertzthailand.com/EN/Default.aspx

If looking at the international franchises (Avis, Budget, Hertz etc.) go to the Thai websites, not the default international sites.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,749 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire KS

Hi

totally agree. Whilst there is always some debate as to if you need a IDP, as they are cheap we get them, and have not had any issues. I would rather have one and not have my travel insurance want to see it . . .

We normally hire from one of the big franchises - Budget or Hertz - as they normally include full insurance with a zero or low excess - which can make it much cheaper than the small fellas. We have hired it ourselves with pick up at the airport, drop off at the hotel or via the hotel, all work well!

We love to hire a car as it gives us so much freedom and explore the island!

9. Re: Car Hire KS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:16