We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewellery

Solihull
Level Contributor
99 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Jewellery

Can you buy cheaper jewellery in Thailand? We went to Turkey last year and bought our wedding rings, the mans was about the same as the UK as it was just the metal. But, the ladies had stones in and we got a very good deal as we had it looked at by a jeweller in the Jewellery Quarter when we got back to the UK.

I am wondering whether we can get a good deal in Thailand (Koh Samui or Bangkok) or is there too much risk with being ripped off?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion of a reputable jewellers?

Thanks

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewellery

Hi

It is not about rip off but the words " you get what you pay for " still proved to be true. Yes of course there are many cheap jewelry both in koh Samui and Bangkok but more so in Bangkok.

Before you buy any jewelry you might want to research scams in Thailand first.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,675 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewellery

I would not advise buying jewellery in Thailand. Been to many horror stories on TA about this and people being scammed.

Use the search facility to look at some old posts.

Solihull
Level Contributor
99 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewellery

Thanks for your advice both.

Think I will wait until Turkey again in October - gives me time to save some money and at least I know what I am getting. Gives the hubby a chance to treat me to more jewels too!!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewellery

I have to disagree with above poster about buying jewelry in Thailand. There are many reputable jewelry stores all over Thailand, but only if you have contacts or connections as the Thais would know where to go. IMHO cheap jewelry then is must be cheap, however if you know what you're getting and happy with the so called " cheap jewelry " then is nothing wrong with that. The beauty is in the eye of beholder.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewellery

hi guys

lets get to the truth about jewellery scams /so called rip offs

precious metals[gold ,silver etc] are priced the same world wide [ so gold in uk is the same price as gold in thailand ,or india or turkey]

its the labour rate in different countries and cost of living which makes many items [including jewellery] cheaper here in thailand than [for example UK]

for an example if you were to purchase a gold ring 18 karat yellow [weight 10 grams ] here it would likely cost less than a gold ring,18 karat yellow [10 grams ] in the uk

simply because the cost to actually make the ring [cost of living ]is lower in thailand [not the cost of gold ]

i used to have 2 jewellery shops and bought all our silver jewellery in thailand

as well as ,Diamonds ,sapphires and rubies

so if you compare apples with apples then theres a good chance of winning here in thailand

however if you have no idea of what your looking at then be warned , you will pay the price , much like not knowing how much the taxi fare is from one place to another before you go

there's some fine jewellers here on samui and if you want details or more in depth insight into the jewellery trade in thailand them PM me , i will be glad to give anyone some pointers

cheers

Dean Cleeton [ Goldsmith by trade ]

Doncaster, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewellery

Hi, I bought my diamond engagement ring in Koh samui 4 years ago for approx £450 and had it valued at £700-750 back in the UK and I have never seen anything exactly the same. Also we both bought our wedding rings at a different jewellers in Chaweng, Koh Samui a few months ago as we married there as well. My husbands was just a plain double banded ring which cost approx £200 and I opted got a ruby and diamond set wedding ring (not very traditional but I loved the fact its different) for approx £400. All the rings are 18K white gold. i havent got round to having the wedding rings valued yet

If you are wanting diamonds then these are very expensive and you can often get cheaper here in the UK we found on this visit, however if your looking for emeralds, sapphires and rubies these are all mined in Thailand and surrounding areas so are often very good priced.

Don't forget to haggle, also my wedding ring ha to be made as the one in the shop was sapphire but it only took 2 days from ordering to being ready to pick up - fantastic service I cant wait to go back for an eternity ring!!

Hopefully some of this helps!!

Kayleigh

Edited: 08 April 2013, 19:15
Glasgow
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewellery

I agree re jewellers. So long as know it is reputable it will be okay. I have purchased a saphhire ring and diamond drop earrings (which cost £1,000.00 Sterling) which I had valued back home and came in at nearly £2,000.00. So I am very pleased with my purchases. (Didn't get my ring valued back home as it was only £250.00 Sterling.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewellery

Dean

Can you suggest any reputable jewellery shops in Chaweng/Bophut area

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewellery

to

pink turquoise depends what you mean by reputable ?

there are many silver shops on samui , they sell silver

there are gold shops that sell gold

most jewellery shops on samui are reputable

PM me details of what you exactly you are interested in and i can advise /point you in the right direction

cheers

Dean Cleeton

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewellery

Hi Dean, I am travelling to Koh Samui at the end of July & was wondering if you could recommend a reliable jeweller there. I have numerous rings, bracelets etc that were left to me from my mother & g/mother that do not suit my small hands & I would like to have them melted down & reset into new rings, pendant & bangle. The price in Aus to have this done is way past my budget. Would appreciate any info you can give me.

Ps. There are numerous large & small quality diamonds in my collection.

Regards

Caroline