We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More on Driving Licenses.

Canberra
Level Contributor
582 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
More on Driving Licenses.

The article isn't all that clear as to whether it is specifying an IDP (International Driving Permit) though, it says "International Driving License".

phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Tourism-M…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

I like Mr Somsak's quote....“This is for tourists’ own good, because they will be protected by law if they are in a road accident,” he explained.

IDPs offer no protection by law. It is merely a transcript of your own driver's licence. Funny thing is the IDP is not transcribed into the Thai language. (English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, German, Arabic, Swedish and French only)

But yes, you do need an IDP to satisfy your travel insurance company should you be involved in an accident.

Hopefully this will stop all the un-licenced and inexperienced bike riders zooming around the country. (no bike licence at home = no IDP)

Edited: 07 May 2013, 02:00
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

It won't stop the inexperienced bike riders because the police will still take a 'purple driving license' in place of any real documentation.

Canberra
Level Contributor
582 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

But of course a statement by the Minister and actual enforcement are two vastly different things...

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

have a look at thai rent a car site licence requirements

to be covered under thailands , vehicle insurance you only need to produce your home countries licence [as long as its written in english]

ive had a few claims with my guests [on my personal vehicle , whose insurance covers any licensed driver ]

never needed to show IDP and insurance has always paid out [without question]

as far as im aware the IDP is for your home countries insurance , if you are claiming from your home country , it has no affect on the insurance in thailand

cheers

DC

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

With so much confusion over whether you actually need one, I can't see why people would take the chance and NOT have one? It's costs around $35 AUD and it required for your travel insurance in most cases so for me it's a no-brainer.

After all the money we spend to fly to Thailand, and accommodation and expenses, if you can't afford the $35 for the IDP (same goes for travel insurance) you should not be going on holidays really.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

Ditto to steph :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

Steph, for the same reason that some travellers still travel overseas without taking out travel insurance! It won't happen to me, someone else will pay, I'll just burden my friends for a loan back home ect ect.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

Oh I know, but it just seems crazy to me. I wouldn't even step into the airport without insurance but I have actually heard people say, "oh well, I will just sell my house to pay for the hospital bill if I need to" ?!?!?!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

And then we have expat telling the tourists that they have been leaving in Thailand for sooooo many years no need for international diving permit, if you got ask by the police just pay him tea money...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More on Driving Licenses.

Same here I really don't understand why people would want to save a few bucks on travel insurance to risk spending thousands if something does happen but everyone has different priorities especially young travellers.