We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which one to go for ?

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
which one to go for ?

hi i'm planning to spend a week at koh samui for my honeymoon next august and still struggling with the hotel options ( i wish the options were little so i could make up my mind instead of speanding hours and hours on the net !

i want an area witha

- private beach

- luxury facilities ,

- close to popular beaches/nice restaurants (in other words i dont have to pay like 100 $ taxi to go and come from a restaurant!!!)

- it would be great if i could get a spot on beach or maybe instead privat pool

my budget is around 500$ per day and until now i learned that W hotel , four season , conrad , banyan are all waaaaay out of my budget :(

the options i came by are the following i wish you could help me choose between them

-sala samui

-Napasi

-tongsai

-shasa samui

-hansar samui

which one would you think would be closer to be the perfect hotel for my honeymoon ?

thanks guys

appreciate your help

until now i lea

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which one to go for ?

Hi

NO BEACH IN THAILAND are PRIVATE. Secluded beach yes

From your criteria Tongsai bay fits in with you.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which one to go for ?

Never heard of Shasa Samui so can't help there. Of the rest is only one within close walking distance of lots and lots of restaurants and bars and its Hansar. However, they only provide rooms in blocks and no villas or rooms with private pools. The beach is also not private and the sand gritty in texture.

Sala Samui is on a fantastic beach, one of the best on the island. There's about 30 bars and restaurants all within a couple of minutes walking distance of the hotels. It does do villas with private pools but they're not detached and they're surrounded by high concrete walls. Lots of privacy but no views from the villas. 10 minutes in either direction to Bhoput and Chaweng. Use the Songthew and it will cost about 120 bhat per couple. The beach isn't private but its less crowded and more tranquil than Bhoput and Chaweng beaches. This is a lovely hotel and would be my 2nd choice off your list.

Napasai is an orient express hotel a very good brand and I've stayed in their hotels elsewhere in the world. It does villas with pools but they may be over budget. The villas are quite close together though so not as private as some hotels and also not much within walking distance of the hotel. You'd need a taxi but probably 300 - 400 bhat each way to the main resorts.

Tongsai Bays within 10-15 walking distance of Choeng Mon (the beach that Sala Samui is on). Easy to get to during the day but I'd walk down at night and get a cab back as the road is partly unlit. Its beach is private as you have to go through the resort to get to it, so really only for hotel residents. Its a stunning resort with the best views and grounds on Samui, service is exceptional and the food very good. Its a perfect honeymoon hotel. This would be my choice for a honeymoon. I don't think your budget would run to a pool villa but the hotel has two large pools and they do have a habit of upgrading honeymooners if there's availability so you never know.

If you can get a deal, your budget might run to a grand villa, which are huge and the balcony's bigger than the villa. We stay in these and spend all our time outsie soaking up the views. Your budget would definitely run to the hideaway cottage which is a huge cottage right on the waters edge. Totally private, not overlooked and with sweeping views across Choeng Mon Bay. It has an enormous terrace (as big as the inside of the cottage) and it has a giant bath on the terrace so you can watch the go down while sipping wine in the bath. There's also sea front cottages which again are right on the waters edge with views to die for and these would be well under your budget so would leave money for cabs. Again, 10 minutes in either direction to Bhoput and Chaweng and 300-400 bhat each way for cabs or walk to Choeng Mon and use the Songthews.

Tongsai would be my first choice out of your list of hotels, Sala Samui 2nd and Napasai 3rd choice.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which one to go for ?

thanks ever so much twiggyrex for your time to reply to me question , i guess it seems taxis are not that expensive as i assumed ? in this case i wont care for a far away hotel from the crowds to get the privacy /non crowded beach .

sala samui seems nicer but again they dont have ocean view and the whole point is to spend the money on a seaview ?

which one between napassi or tongsai would you go for regarding the luxury of the room itself ? do you think its worth it i squeeze my pocked to go to a hotel like w,conrad,or 4 season ... would it worth it , my fiancee saying i'm cheap but really its expensive to pay around a thousand dollar for a villa/room for 7 days?

thanks

regarding the tongsai and nappasi , if i eat in hotel ,whats the average for a dinner with a drink , are we talking 100$ per person or less?

thanks

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which one to go for ?

I wouldn't stay at the Conrad as its at least 50 minutes drive from the main resorts and a $50 dollar taxi fare. For me the villas are also too close too each other (less than a meter in some parts). Its one of the only hotels in Samui I would say is truly isolated. The W is also not for me. It couldn't be less thai in style if it tried. You could lift it up and stick it in any city in the world and it would fit in but that's just my personal taste. If I'm in Thailand I want somewhere that looks and feels thai and the last thing I want is neon coloured chairs. Others like it precisely because it is styled to within an inch of its life. All comes down to personal choice at the end of the day.

As for whether or not its worth paying extra for the rooms, only you can make that decision. Personally I'm an outdoor person so for me I wouldn't pay $1,000 for a swankier room when I'm going to spend most of the day outdoors. Tongsai's villas are more than good enough for an outdoor person like me. We have debated staying at the Banyan Tree before but decided it was too concrete for us and the service too formal. We'd rather spend the several hundred dollars a day we'd save on food and drink and just enjoying the holiday. However, if you want the latest in design,the flashiest styling and a detached pool villa in a pretty setting with a private beach then you're going to have to stay somewhere like the Banyan Tree and double the budget.

As for the choice between Napasia and Tongsai, for me Tongsai. The villas and rooms are more spaced out and I value my privacy when I'm on holiday. They also pump out music round the pool at Napasai which is not for me. I want to hear the sea and local wildlife when I'm away not techno music. I can go to Chaweng if I want to hear that.

Why don't you have a look at the photos that guests have posted for each of the hotels. That way you can see which of the room styles you prefer and you'll get a better feel for how close the villas are to each other.

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday no matter which one of the hotels you choose. They're the best on the island and any would be great. Tough choice.

As for food at Tongsai, around 250-300 bhat for lunch and anything from 350 bhats for thai food at night, and 600-700 should get you a really good western meal at the beachfront bistro. Cocktails are around 250-300 but there's two happy hours per day when you get them half price. Wines very expensive all over thailand. There's no way you'd need to spend $100 dollars each on a meal unless you want to drink a couple of bottles of wine with every meal and eat fillet steak every night.

5. Re: which one to go for ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 17:21
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: which one to go for ?

thanks dear twigyyrex , your the man , the only comment on your comment is woooow , i feel like i stayed at those hotels

just to clear the food prices ,i didnt expect food is that cheap , is it the same at all 5 star hotels? i mean 600 BHT is like 20 dollars which is suppppppppppeeeeeeer cheap for a meal in hotel , if this is the case i wouldnt mind choosing remote hotels as i intend to spend alot of time in room if you get what i mean ;)

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which one to go for ?

No it won't be the same in all hotels. Food will probably be similarly priced in the Hansar and Sala Samui as they've got competition close to the hotel. However, food and drink will cost a lot more in the Banyan Tree and Conrad. I guess the motto is, if you can afford $1,000 a night for a room, you can afford to pay through the nose for food and drink. Also, 600 bhat is the main course prices. Starters would cost 2-300 as would desert.

Why not split your stay between two hotels? That way you can experience two different types of holiday and you can tell us whether its really worth paying the extra. Banyan Tree/Tongsai would be a good combination. Ones in a less developed part of the island and the other is closer to the more developed and sleazier parts of Samui. The emphasis in one is on warm friendly and exceptional service and a stunning location and the other is on top of the range furnishings and interiors of the rooms. Tongsai/Conrad would also be a complete contrast. One is modern, concrete and stacked and racked villas whereas the other is old style teak buildings spaced out over 25 acres of gardens. W and Tongsai would also be a chalk and cheese combination. One is uber cool, urban and funky and the other, well, it just isn't, its old style thai.

Again it all comes down to personal choice really. There's no arguing that the villas at Banyan Tree and Conrad will be more modern and plusher but its whether its worth the extra $s. Also if you do stay at those resorts, get the hotel to send you a site map and ask for a villa that's not overlooked. Some of the villas on the lower slopes at the Banyan Tree are definitely overlooked by those higher up the hills and I think I already said that some of the villas at the Conrad are only a meter apart from neighbouring villas, which you probably won't want on a honeymoon.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: which one to go for ?

thanks alot twiggyrex for this pricless advise i guess i will go for it but i'm not very convinced with the tongsai , i'm really a guy looking for luxury ,especially i'll spend more time in the rooms than outside ;D

so if i go for a luxury hotel i will go for four season for like 3 days and the rest spend in a cheaper hotel where all the action is ? what hotel would you recommend in this case? what hotels offere the perfect close to night live with all popular restaurants near by and in the same time it offers upscale rooms?

i just got an idea of staying a couple of nights at koh taoe ? do you believe its worth it , in other words would it be an extra experience for my honeymoon ? if yes please guide me where to stay there ?

i really want to thank you again my dear koh samui friend , i hope if you live at koh samui i could invite you for a drink somtime ;)

yours

nikolA

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which one to go for ?

If you want to be close to all the nightlife then you need to be in Chaweng but there are no luxury hotels in that area. Also, you said you wanted a private beach but Chaweng is the busiest beach on Samui. The closest to a luxury hotel in Chaweng is the library but I think you would be disappointed if you're looking for Banyan Tree type luxury. They're stark minimalist rooms. You also need to be aware that you will be able to hear loud music and room shaking fireworks from some of the rooms. The next best will probably be Sareeraya but again its next door to a noisy bar and does suffer from loud fireworks on the beach late into the night. They have pool villas but they're overlooked and you won't get any privacy as the world and his mother walks up and down Chaweng beach.

Personally, if it was me I would opt for Bhoput instead. No nightclubs but dozens and dozens of restaurants and bars. Again, no private beaches but the Hansars a good hotel in this area. No villas just rooms though. Bhoput resort and spa would be worth a look and it does have pool villas. I would also normally recommend Anatara Bhoput. They have seafront pool villas but part of the hotel (the normal rooms not the villas) are currently being renovated. Depends when you're going as the renovations might be finished by then. Their villas are on a par price wise with Tongsai Bay.

No I don't live on Samui but in rainy old England but thanks for the offer anyway.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: which one to go for ?

thanks twiggy , regarding staying at koh tao, do you recommend it ? would it add somthing for my honeymoon experience for thailand islands?

i'm currentely taking your advise and searching only hotels near bophut as you mentioned there is lots of activitiy , i guess at the end if we want a wild night we could go for a night ,

anyother areas do you reommend beside bophut as calm touristic places .

thanks by TA friend !