We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No specifications about train travel

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
No specifications about train travel

Hello,

I'm planning a trip from Bangkok to Koh Samui by train.

I've read Elina's blog and seen the various websites related to train travel mentioned in that blog and also the websites of the travel agents mentioned in www.seat61.com. I've also compared the results with the official site of Thailand trains. The problem is that there is no consensus in either of them. The prices for the train travel from Bangkok-Surat Thani and the arrival time for the train(85) is also different. in all of them.

I'm totally confused about how to book the trains. Could someone help me please. Also if anyone has travelled in this train and knows how much does it cost to travel in class 2 with aircon and the exact arrival time in Surat Thani, then it would be a lot of help.

Thanks,

Shaalini

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,330 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No specifications about train travel

Hi Shaalini,

Train 85 departs Bangkok at 19.30 and is scheduled to arrive in Surat Thani at 08.05. However, it is likely to arrive late. Anyway, once you have arrived you can buy your combo ticket (bus/ferry) to Don Sak pier and then on to Koh Samui. You may make the faster lomprayah catamaran otherwise there are hourly crossings on the slower car ferries.

I do not know the cost but it is possible to buy rail tickets online at:

www.thailandtrainticket.com

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No specifications about train travel

Hey AjarnAndy,

Thanks for your reply. Actually earlier I'd compared the prices with the official rail booking site i.e. http://www.thairailticket.com/ and it seemed higher but I checked again and I think it was a mistake as probably here the ticket includes transportation till the island.

Its not sure on the website whether the fare mentioned includes their fee or not. I've written to them but haven't received any reply yet. If you know this it would be great.

Thanks again,

Shaalini

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,330 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No specifications about train travel

Hi Shaalini,

I don't think it is possible to get tickets on the website you mentioned any longer. The link I mentioned is a private company and they do charge a small fee for each ticket. Last time I inquired it was 100 baht. And, they can deliver the tickets to your hotel.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No specifications about train travel

Now the fee is 200THB.

Just another small query. When we say booking from Bangkok-Koh Samui, this means travel by Train+Bus+Ferry right? Would you know which Ferry is used for transportation while booking tickets through http://www.thailandtrainticket.com/?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,330 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No specifications about train travel

Hi,

Yes, it is train + bus (1.5 hour bus journey to pier) and then sea crossing. I have just looked at the website and it doesn't state which ferry company it uses. However, with the timings listed I suspect it is the Raja car ferry. Earlier I suggested that the train is scheduled to arrive at 08.05. Actually, I got it wrong since the scheduled arrival time is 07.06.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No specifications about train travel

Thanks a lot...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No specifications about train travel

We travelled this way at the beginning of May, but 1st class. We got our tickets at the above website, and they were delivered to our hotel the day before we arrived in Bangkok. The train was a little late leaving Bangkok, but 2 hours late arriving. The bus was still there to collect us, quite a few people, and we were put on the next ferry leaving, so except for arriving on Koh Samui two hours late everything still went well. While on the bus to the ferry we were asked if we had arranged our transport from the pier to our hotel, which we hadn't, so they sold us tickets. This I personally would not do again as the driver and his off sider were rude, kept talking in Thai to each other and laughing while looking back at the passengers, were not even sure where our hotel was and was also a lot more expensive than taxis etc at the actual pier.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: No specifications about train travel

Bump !

More info would be great !

How about getting off at chumphon or is that only for koh Tao ?

Thanks !

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No specifications about train travel

I have emailed thaitrainticket several times over the last few weeks trying to book tickets for the 85 out of Bangkok to Surat Thani ( for KS), but they will not reply.

I am getting worried now as we travel in less than 2 weeks and I really need to know if I can get this train.

Anyone got any advice please?

Many thanks

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No specifications about train travel

@ demic999 try this other website. Well trusted and highly thought of on the forum

http://www.asia-discovery.com/train.htm

@ Mariam029 you can depart the train at Chumphon and bus and ferry to Koh Samui but many prefer to stay on the train and disembark at a more civilised time!