We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favourite authentic Thai food

Sunny Perth
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Favourite authentic Thai food

Hi all

Heading to Samui soon, love Thai food.

Just want some ideas of what your favourite Thai dishes are. I love a good panang curry but would like to know what you all order or where you like to eat in Samui.

Thanks TA community!

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

Hi

My all day/time favorite is somtam ( papaya salad) sticky rice and chiken or pork on sticks selling by beach vendors.

In koh Samui you must try southern cuisines head to Lamai beach there's restaurant called " Sabiang Lae" beautiful authentic southern cuisines.

Happy eating :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

I love it there also Pea and it's a lot better than the Chaweng branch. Although last year the Chaweng branch had a great Thai band.

Too hard to say what my fave would be, just order what ever you think sounds nice as everyone likes different things. I find curry a bit heavy to eat on holiday personally as I eat soooo much food over there so I tend to order Thai Salads or non coconut base curries from the Nth.

Anything Isan goes well for me.

If you are with a few people it's a great way and the Thai way to all order something and share it.

When do you go Perth Wild Cat?

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

Thaimucsic if you like Issan must go to " Mod Yim" on ring road:)

Canberra
Level Contributor
593 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

That's a very difficult question, it depends on the time of day and where you are...

But like sweetpea, somtam has to rank up there, there are so many different variations on the theme, even a tempura-battered/lightly fried version we found amongst the big selection of som tam at Tum Thai on the road between Big Buddha and Fishermans Village.

See if you can find Kua Kling, pork minced and dry-fried in a potent southern paste that is heavy on turmeric and topped with finely shredded kaffir lime leaves, there are a few places where you can get it, mostly roadside or market stalls though, it's a bit hot for many tourists. The stall with a dozen pots of food on the left just 200m down the road at the top of Chaweng (where it starts one way) going over to the main ring road usually has it, but often runs out if you don't get there before about 12/12:30.

Also deep-fried fish with any number of different toppings/sauces....

And of course a good Larb/laab is to die for, even the northern style with strips of fried liver.

I'm drooling on the keyboard right now just thinking of how good the food is on Samui if you just look around and get off the main tourist beats.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 06:41
Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
Sunny Perth
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

MMMM, some great responses there.

Pea, some great advice (as usual) with the somtam, gotta try that for sure. Thaimusic I am heading there from 8-18 June. Redbigot I have a hot palate so the Kua Kling sounds great also.

I can't wait to get stuck into the different flavours over there!

Thanks all and I'll try to take note and provide some feedback when I return.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

Just Thai in general? Duck Nam Tok, roast duck in spicy tamarind sauce with basil. If I see it on the menu I don't have to look any further although, almost ashamed as I am to say it, I also have a weakness for pineapple fried rice. For my first trip to Koh Samui though I'm looking forward to trying some fried fish with turmeric and coconut milk, sounds lip smackingly good.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

And if you've got room for a desert then try tri colour pearls. They are to die for and I could live on them and/or sticky rice with mango. Heaven. Some of the hottest dishes we have tried have been salads. Glass noodle salads has grated raw chilli in it. Sounds awful but its surprisingly refreshing. As for authentic thai food, head for the stalls in the markets or roadside and look for ones where the clients are mostly thai peple.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

Simple Pad Thai works for me too...............so long as it is a good one

Baked mussels in garlic (seems to be a Hua Hin speciality) is scrummy

not forgetting of course soft shell crab!!!

Mmmmm I am feeling hungry just thinking about it!

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

I can't live without SomTam, Thai Curry, Pad Thai and then sticky rice and mango to follow . . .

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favourite authentic Thai food

Stop it!! You are making me miss Ko Samui again and I might have to do something desperate like jump on the next flight going there......