We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

Hobart, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

Hey guys

Honeymooning on Koh Samui for 3 nights next year.

Travel Agent has suggested we can get a pool villa at either Sala Samui or Renaissance within budget; although we want to just relax at this time we still want to be close to bars and restaurants and things to do.

Any suggestions on which of the two is better located for what we are after?

and also is there anywhere that you can safetly jet ski on the island without getting caught in that scam? from what i've read it may not be worth the risk.

Cheers

D

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

Hi

Sala got my vote i have never stay in both places can't comment on service but locations wise Sala win hand down. Sala situated Cheongmon beach, the beach are great beach within walking distance to restaurants and bars. 10 mins to chawrng or to bophut fishermen village.

Things to do, koh Samui is just a small a island most tour will pick up and drop off so you're never too far from things.

Can't help with jet ski sorry.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

Yeah Sala is a good property to stay in and a short distance to Chaweng where you will get the night life.

Hobart, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

Excellent thanks for the replies, I did prefer the look of the SALA over Renaissance but wasnt sure of what there was to do in each location so you have helped affirm my decision!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

And I would not hire jetski's unless you are prepared to photograph every inch of that jetski before you take it out (with owner watching) as proof that you didn't damage it. IMO it's not worth it.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,507 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

Forget the jet skis but you'll enjoy the sala it's a good choice for a honeymoon.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

If you really have to jet ski then they're available for hire just down the beach from Sala (turn right out of the hotel). I can't say they're scam proof though. Most jet skis on Samui are run by mafia type groups so if you hire one there's always the risk of being scammed. Horrible noisy things as far as I'm concerned and Choeng Mons definitely noisier since they arrived a couple of years back.

As for the best hotel, Sala by a clear mile. great beach, good hotel and perfect for a honeymoon. 30 restaurants beach side and in the High street. 10 minutes by cab to Chaweng if you want to party or shop for cheap souvenirs and the same in the other direction for Bhoput and its better quality restaurants and shops.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 10:07
7. Re: Relaxing but still close to action - SALA or Renaissance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 06:16