We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice please

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Some advice please

Hi guys, I am looking for some help. We are thinking of goin to Amati reef next year for our summer holidays last 2 weeks in July. We have just come back from Mexico had an amazing time but we had a lot of rainfall being the rainy season :-) we travel with a 4 year old aswell so would have to be kid friendly :-)

So I have a few questions maybe you could help me with ?

1. What is the weather like in July ? Temp/ blue skies ? And rainfall

2 also what is Amati reef like for kids ?

Thanks in advance

Linda

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some advice please

Hi

Can't answer 2] but you will find that July in Samui should be drier and the sea calmer, than you found in the Caribbean - where it is the Hurricane season.

Thailand is dominated by the 2 prevailing winds known as monsoon. The east - Samui - has calmer seas and less chance of rainfall around April to October, whilst the west - Phuket / Krabi - has calmer seas and less chance of rain October to April. However, doesn't mean it won't rain, but the seas will be calmer or rougher depending on the direction f the prevailing or monsoon.

What sort of thing are you looking for as child friendly?? Have you read the reviews??

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some advice please

Could it be that you booked the Amari Palm Reef Hotel at the northern end of Chaweng beach?

If so, you should be fine except for a bit shallow sea in front of the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng Beach
Chaweng Beach
2,758 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some advice please

Hi

If you want beautiful beach for the kids then checkout

Centra grande in outs chaweng beach

Imperial boat house in Cheonmon beach

Both resorts are good for kids.

Cheers,

Mentioned in this post
Centra by Centara Coconut Beach Resort Samui
Centra by Centara...
605 Reviews
Taling Ngam, Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some advice please

I would look at South Chaweng, the best stretch of beach is between the Samui Paradise hotel and the Banana Fan resort, any of the hotel there would ba a good option but in particular the Centara is a very family oriented hotel with a wonderful pool.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Samui Paradise Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa
Samui Paradise Chaweng...
509 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some advice please

Amari hotel is a great place to stay. The reason people on here don't rave about it is because the beach is not as good as the beach 2 ks south.

Having said that I stayed there last July and found it excellent.

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some advice please

Thanks guys for your replies ! I haven't booked anything yet but will look at all these suggestions. Is Amari reef in walking distance to all restaurants and shops Etc ?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Some advice please

About 10 - 15 minutes walk to the center of action in Chaweng.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some advice please

10/15 min walk to center of Chaweng, but 5 mins walk to start of shops and restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
9. Re: Some advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 July 2013, 06:25
Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some advice please

I'm just back on Samui so missed July but friends were staying in my home for the last three weeks and have had pretty poor weather. Normally it is a great month. So (totally unscientific) I would speculate that the chances of two not good Julys in a row are low (but I could be wrong). I think the Amari is great for a four year old as the sea up that end in the mid year is pretty much an enormous paddling pool - fabulous for a wee one.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand