We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

South yorkshire
Level Contributor
184 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Hi, just come back from Bangkok, Pattaya and Wasai. loved Wasai Bangkok was ok but hated Pattaya. We hated all the hassle from prostitutes and the smell off the drains. It was far too busy for us. Can anyone tell me what I can expect with Koh Samui.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Well Pattaya is a large city / town. It is busy.

Samui is small island. There are busy and quiet beaches and resorts.

Whilst there are smelly drains (it is a bit of a fact in places in Thailand) they don't all smell. That is the trouble with growing tourism and building to meet the demand without the infrastructure. At least drains only smell of sewage.

Ok, you get prostitutes in Samui but they are pretty confined to a small area, but you get them everywhere around the world, and whilst there is demand they will work. Basic economics! Some of my good Thai friends are prostitutes, and sometimes they don't have a lot of choices in life. Lovely people.

You do get hassle of varying degrees all around Thailand, but we find a smile and a shake of the head works. The hassle is not as bad as many places in north Africa.

Samui is a very different creature to Pattaya, it might just be for you, if you go with an open mind and forget Pattaya!

Always travel with a please, a thank you and a smile, then folks will always be more willing to help you! Thank you so much for asking your question.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

I think you would like Samui but maybe base yourself somewhere like Choeng Mon or Bophut/Fishermans village area as they have plenty to do but much more laid back and it's only a short drive or taxi to the busier Chaweng. Chaweng at times can have a bit of a whiff but I find it is often after a heavy rainfall.

As TM says Samui is a small island and you can make it as busy or as quiet as you want.

As for prostitutes they are on Samui but nothing like Pattaya that is for sure and the ones there are in small areas and tend not to hassle you unless you are a couple of young lads heading there way.

Lamai tends to be the area where there are more beer bars where you will find them so maybe avoid that area. but in saying that we have never been hassled by any in 10 years of going there and we get out and about to all areas.

We love Samui for 2 or more weeks after about 3- 5 nights in Bangkok but have no desire to go to Pattaya.

Hope that helps.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Koh Samui is much quieter than Pattaya and you can avoid the girly scene all together. We have travelled with our teen daughter several times and although we ventured out at night, saw nothing that made any of us uncomfortable. Pretty much in Samui unless you are looking for it, you won't come across it. Like Mitch we have met some lovely working girls in Samui though and they have been very happy to sit and chat etc without any hassle.

If you don't like busy, stay away from the Central Chaweng area but you could look at the southern area of this beach if you are wanting a lovely beach but access to lots of restaurants etc. If a lovely beach is a much, have a look at Choeng Mon - it is stunning and pretty quiet but has a good selection of restaurants to choose from. It is only a 10-15 minute taxi ride from the busier areas if you want to visit. Another place that might suit you is Bophut, it is more upmarket with lots of restaurants etc but the beach isn't as nice as other areas.

The drain thing is a bit of a fact of life in Thailand. It is evident in Chaweng at times (often when there has been no rain for awhile) but it is usually a waft and that is it. Something you get used to I guess? It doesn't really bother me. It isn't everywhere or all the time so I wouldn't let this put you off.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

There's only a small area in Samui where the "working girls" do their business but you would have to look for it as it's not as much in your face as it is in Pattaya, stay in South Chaweng or in Choeng Mon and avoid staying in Central Chaweng.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Excuse my ignorance but where is Wasai? I have friends who went to Pattaya and thought it was pretty bad. They then went to KS and loved it and have been back again.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Hi I am planning to do 3-4 nights in koh Samui in September 2013 next month and then head to koh phanglan for the full moon party, then 2 nights in Bangkok on my way back.

I was wondering if this is right time to go and there won't be much rain??

Is this sounding okay or shud I add Phuket or any other destination to my trip. I am looking to do a week long trip in Thailand.

Cheers,

Djay

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Hi I am planning to do 3-4 nights in koh Samui in September 2013 next month and then head to koh phanglan for the full moon party, then 2 nights in Bangkok on my way back.

I was wondering if this is right time to go and there won't be much rain??

Is this sounding okay or shud I add Phuket or any other destination to my trip. I am looking to do a week long trip in Thailand.

Cheers,

SP Singh

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Hi

You have a different question so if you post a new question rather than tag onto others you will get more relevant answers.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Hi Surya Pratap

May to Sep best weather in East coast so considering this Koh Samui will be perfect for you. Really beautiful place very relaxing out there. Nice beaches and lots of things to explore.

Cheers

Sanchit

South yorkshire
Level Contributor
184 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of going to Koh Samui.

Aussie,

You get to Wasai by flying to Nakhon Si Thammarat, then about an hours drive it's not a tourist place. My father lives there but OMG the beach is so unspoilt.