We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Auckland
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hi

could someone please tell me if I should take cash with me

or should I use ATM machines to withdraw cash. Also could someone please advise if I could use Westpac eftpos cards.

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Hi Kiwi 2

Copy & paste this link

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293918-c4065/Koh-Sam…

It gives you a run down about money & your options,as far as your Westpac card i`m not sure I figure the easiest way to find out would be to ask them.

Jamie

New Zealand
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Hi Kiwi2

We were in Thailand in april,I wouldnt take all your spending money in cash it would be a bit risky although most hotels have safes in your room or at reception,you should use them for your important things like passports and air tickets,there are atm machines everywhere you go,for our spending money we used a travellex cash passport card that we got through our travel agent,they have a single fee of 2percent of funds deposited and then you can use the card at any atm machine.Most didnt charge anything for a withdrawl and the ones that did were only about a dollar,most but not all will give you a balance as well.I was also able to use my national bank eftpos card it had a fee of $7.50 per withdrawl plus currency exchange charges that made it more expensive to use than the cash passport.Hope this helps,enjoy your holliday,I am looking forward to going back again next year.

Kevin

Brisbane
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

Are travellers cheques still a good way to go? If so, coming from Australia I wonder if they should be australian dollars or convert to U.S.$$?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

ATM'S are everywhere, do not take T/Checks. I used my NAB card and it worked and i got a $4.00 charge each time, so take out B10,000 each time you withdraw !

5. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 01:18