We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

HI all,

We have booked to stay at the Waterfront in Bophut for 5 nights in Jan but after having read more on this forum I'm starting to wonder whether we should have chosen Choeng Mon due to the better beach conditions at that time of year for our 5 y/o and 19 month old.

The night market and good food reviews were part of why we chose Bophut, but didn't realize beach could be rough that time of year. If we stay in Choeng Mon we could travel to night market just for that evening. The other 6 nights of our trip we are booked in to Baan Chaweng Beach Resort which may be too busy an area with kids but had good reviews and can't change that part of the booking now. We have hired a car during the time in Chaweng too so we can get out easily if we want to : )

So, do we bother switching to Choeng Mon for first 5 nights instead of Bophut and if so, any hotel recommendations up to 4500Thb?

All opinions appreciated : )

Valeska

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

With two young children I would go for Choeng Mon. I would happily stay in either resort but I always think of toddlers building sandcastles and the sand at Choeng Mon is better or sandcastles. The waters also shallow for quite a way out, so ideal for kids and paddling.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

Hi

Agree witj twiggyrex Cheonmon beach are more suitable for little kids than Bophut IMHO white soft sand shallow water for little one to splashing about.

For budget 4500 baht have a look at

Kirati house

Samui honey cottage

White House

Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

Thanks- which of the hotels you suggested would you recommend the most sweet pea?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

Bummer- Just read fine print on our Bophut booking and will cost us 50% of total cost to cancel so looks like we will have to stay in Bophut and travel to Choeng Mon for the kids to swim. Would it be around 300Thb in taxi fares between the two?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

It's the sand that's not great in Bophut as it's gritty but the seas can be rough everywhere in January as its the monsoon season so I would wait until you arrive and organise your days based on the weather and the Waterfront has a pool which will be good for the kids if the sea is too rough.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

Ok- looks like we CAN change our booking but will cost us 3880THb which was our deposit. So my next question is, if we stay at the White House in Choeng Mon, are there good eating options nearby within walking distance?

Thanks again

Valeska

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

Those hotel on my post # 2 are on a very good locations. Plenty of restaurants both on beach (2-5 mins walk ) and on the main road. 10 -15 mins by taxi to both fisherman village and chaweng beach.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

Hi Valeska,

Your eating options at Choeng Mon are great. Unfortunately the eating on the beach options aren't as good as what they were a few years ago, with Crystal being the main option (lousy service, not great food). But out on the street there are many really nice restaurant options and the staff will go goo gaa over your kids. Choeng Mon is a really cute little area with most things you'll need, one of my favourite spots to travel to. Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 01:40
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,167 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

We stayed in Bophut a couple of years ago and again for 1 night this year. My kids like it there as it's easy to walk around especially with the Friday night markets, but if I was going for beach again I probably wouldn't choose Bophut next time and would go Choeng Mon which we visited and loved the beach.

10. Re: Bophut or Choeng Mon w 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16