We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rip Tides

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rip Tides

Now i no all to well about these, but as i am not a very good swimmer i just wanted to make sure on a few things as cant really seem find much info on the subject

staying around chaweng at beginning of march and also on baan kai on koh phangan just after, but wondered how bad if any would the rips be, as i no i wont be going swimming, but is always nice go for a quick dip to cool off, but i dont want to get caught out in any of these

i presume there will be flags out of the danger areas if there are any, but i no things can chance very quickly

thanks

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rip Tides

Yes there are rip tides in Chaweng and we've been in Samui when people have died swimming off Chaweng beach. However, red flags were up on that day and the swimmers ignored them. Seas tend to be rougher in the Monsoon season so October through to December and sometimes into January. You'll be ok if you stay out of deep water when the red flags are up. If you're only paddling in the shallows you should be ok most days even when the red flags are up so long as you don't go much above knee height.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rip Tides

thanks for that, just needed to be sure on my limits

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,231 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rip Tides

Hi

I am a very strong swimmer, but when the seas are rough (you don't find rips in very calm seas) I don't go out of my depth at all, ever! We won't go above knee level when the read flags are out!

Whyalla, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rip Tides

are there any rip tides choeng mon beach

Whyalla, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rip Tides

any rip tides on choeng non beach

6. Re: Rip Tides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:15