We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Chester, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
how safe is ko samui for a young couple

hi

i have been looking at this destination for a holiday with my boyfriend it would be both of our first holidays abroad without parents i am 18 and he will be 21 i am just wondering how safe it is to put my mind at rest, this is including flying there, staying there, the people, crime, drugs, snatching ect

anything that could be of a possible worry for me and how generally safe ko samui is all the answers i can get would be great

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,871 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Hi,

I have never felt unsafe there or experienced any problems. However, I would advise against hiring a motorcycle.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Safer than Chester or Liverpool on a weekend :-)

Just use your common sense as you would anywhere and you will be fine.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Hi

Have good read on this links ( every pages of it ) thailawforum.com/tourst-guide-laws-Thailand.…

The links is full of informations regarding Thailand.

Chester, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

That's great thanks all. Fhaga settled my mind a little as it's such a beautiful place too

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Extremely safe, but beware of street and beach sellers offering "tablets". We were there with our adult children, and while we were not offered anything, our son and daughter, often walking just a few steps behind us, were. They ignored the sellers.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Ignore anyone who tries to be too friendly - if they are foreigners (white) they are usually trying to sell you timeshare). Thai people wouldn't generally walk up to strangers and strike up a conversation, so if someone does politely decline whatever they are offering and walk away.

The biggest danger is dengue fever which is prevalent throughout SEA. Take plenty of mozzie repellent or you can buy it once there and spray night and day and don't hire a scooter, no matter how tempting. Many tourists get injured on them as they don't know what they are doing and the road conditions are very different to the UK. Avoid any confrontations with Thai people and don't rent jet skis. Think that's pretty much it.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Hi - we (an older couple) are on our way home after spending 10 glorious days in Bophut, close to the Fisherman's Village. I am sure that all the advice above about what to avoid is well worth keeping in mind, although we did not encounter any of the issues mentioned during our 10 days. Take the normal precautions when you first go anywhere you don't know and I'm sure you will be fine.

Kanchanaburi...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Hi

One of the biggest problems is alcoholic drinks. As long as you are in control and do not go overboard, you will be okay. And remember, if you unintentionally left your drink unsupervised, leave it and order a new one. Better to safe as there are places where people will spike your drinks.

Another advise is always make sure you know what you are going to pay for the transport (especially taxis) before boarding. If you forget to ask before, then never ever try to haggle the price when you arrive at the destination no matter how unreasonable it may be. Your life is more precious. Taxis are very notorious for being violent.

On the whole, Samui is very beautiful and good place to have a holiday.

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

Very safe, just don't do drugs and don't fall around really drunk late at night and then it's highly unlikely you'll have any problems.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how safe is ko samui for a young couple

My husband and myself are a middle aged couple and have just returned from a 15 night stay in Chaweng, Koh Samui and it was fantastic.. Felt perfectly safe at all times and never had any problems of any kind and are booking to go back next year. We found the Thai people to be the most delightful people we have ever met. We didnt hire scooters or jet skis and always agreed a price with the driver before using taxis. You will have a wonderful time. If you have any questions then please feel free to ask me,