We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques

Hi all,

I'm after some advice please. We fly next month and as it's our honeymoon we've splashed out on our hotel. We have a bill to pay of approx £1600 when we check in.

I was going to pay on credit card but another thread on here has got me thinking about traveller cheques.

if I pay by credit card my bank charges will be around £48..I've seen there is a baht charge for changing travellers cheques but having never had them I'm not sure if they'd be cheaper.

Does anyone know? I don't know what the maximum value of each cheque can be so don't know how many I'd have to change to pay the bill.

I don't know what to do for the best so any opinions will be greatly received!

Thank you

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques

Hi

If you're using the travel cheques to pay your bills direct at the hotel. The hotel will give a very low rate. You best to change travel cheques at the bank first.

If you pay with card you will be charge with your card fees and charges. Maybe look for the card that has no international conversions.

The travel cheques from March 1st will be 153 baht per cheque so if you bring big denomination it will definitely reduce the fee.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques

Hello , we are in Koh Samui now and we brought travellers cheques. We brought american express cheques in pounds. We asked them for large denomination but we ended up with small cheques so we have paid a lot of fees. The price is going up from 33baht to 153baht from 1st March. Our hotel exchange rate was very low so we travelled to our next town. It took us a while to find somewhere that would exchange them.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques

I always insist on £200 TCs as the charge is per cheque but with the increase in the charge I may think about alternatives

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,532 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques

Only get American Express TC's when visiting Thailand..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques

I think the best suggestion has come from Sweetpea, look for a new card that has zero or minimal overseas transaction fees.

Citibank in Australia offer a transaction account with a Visa debit card with zero fees when used overseas. There may well be a similar card available to you in the UK. Simple to transfer your funds into that account before you leave and use overseas.

Of course any fees that may be charged by your hotel or the 150 baht at an ATM are not covered.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques

Thanks all, I'm spending my afternoon looking into my different options.

I've so far discovered my main bank here are one of the most expensive (2.99%), however another bank I use only 2% so that's one option.

I think I've accepted that our large hotel bill shall just go on the lower bank card, it'll still cost us approx £30 in fees but as it is a £1600 hotel bill even if we got travellers cheques of £200 each cheque it would still cost us approx £22 in charges, and of course we'd have the hassle of getting so much converted. Then if we end up with lower value cheques it'd cost even more.

I'm now just trying to sort out the best method for our spending money, I had planned to just use the atm but my main bank have charges of 4.75%, plus then the ATM charge. If I transfer the money to my other bank, the charges are lower, 2% and a flat £1 fee. I'm going to have a look at lower charge options and then weigh up the best approach!

7. Re: Travellers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:18