We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

Hi,

Totally new to all this so apologies in advance if this is a daft question. Basically, we are travelling with Bangkok Airways from Koh Samui Airport to Suvarnabhumi Airport in the afternoon and then onward to the UK with Etihad Airways about 6/7 hours later.

Will we have to claim our baggage again and check in later, or can they connect the filghts and our baggage somehow so that we get it in the UK?

Or if not, is there somewhere we can store our luggage whilst we spend a few of our last hours in Bangkok?

Thank you

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

Hi,

You should be OK to get your baggage checked through to the UK:

bangkokair.com/eng/…check-in-through

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

Hi

Your bags should be check through to UK as Eithad and Bangkok airways have code shares. You also doing immigrations formality in koh Samui.

Good luck

Mansfield
Level Contributor
589 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

I'm flying Etihad from KS.

Expect to check in my bags at KS and not see them again until Manchester.

Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

Hi all, thank you for your replies and the link to the BK Airways site.

I have had a look at it and if my understanding is correct, if we want our baggage checked through to Etihad then we have to stay in the transfer area at Suvarnabhumi Airport. We have approx 5/6 hours to spare after the flight arrives, so would prefer not do have to wait in the airport for that time.

Would my only other option be to collect luggage as usual and check it in later on for the Etihad flight?

Also do you have any recomendations on what we can do for a few hours in Bangkok before leaving? Is there anything interesting or going on near or around the airport?

Thank you again for your help, its much appreciated

Wales
Level Contributor
557 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

Be mindful that you have to check in 3hrs before your flight or have you included that in the times This won't give you much time to visit Bangkok.

As for doing immigration in KS I thought this was done in BKK. At least that is what I have done for the last few years including last August. All I have done on arrival in KS is pick up my luggage from the international carousel and walk through customs. Has this changed lately?

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

If you have your bags checked through to your final overseas destination then you are a transit passenger and clear immigration at Samui airport.If you are breaking your journey and spending some time in Bangkok on the way then the flight to Bangkok from Samui is a domestic flight and you will complete immigration in Bangkok when you check in for your overseas flight.

As far as having 5/6 hours to kill I don't think you have time to get into Bangkok and back and do anything of interest.

Wales
Level Contributor
557 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

Think I should have put glasses on and read the post properly before answering lol I can see now OP was talking about return journey!!! Apologies

8. Re: Koh Samui > Bangkok > UK - Flight/Baggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:18