We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a Ko Samui location

Regina, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Choosing a Ko Samui location

Hello:

I have never travelled to Thailand, but I have decided I will travel to Ko Samui in May. After reading too much information, I am having a hard time choosing a location to stay for 1 month. Please assist :). I am considering Bo Phut, Mae Nam, Lamai, and Choeng-Mon. My priorities are: an appealing and not extremely crowded beach to swim everyday, plenty restaurant options within short (10min) walking distance, and not a hard partying location.

Thank-you for any advice.

K.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

Since you're lucky enough to have a month to be there I'd advise you book your first week or so into one location and then spend some time checking out the different towns to see which one works best for you.

From your list I'd start at Lamai and base yourself there. Maenam and Bophut are right next to each other so very easy to check out in a day and Cheong Mon isn't too far away either.

With a month at your disposal you may want to think about seeing the other islands neaby, a few nights on each would make for a fun change of pace.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 14:34
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,749 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

Lamai is pretty busy, and don't forget if you include Lamai, then southern Chaweng might be worth considering.

I agree with what Matt says. Book something for a few days and then drive round to see what appeals.

I would also consider time in Koh Tao and Koh Phangan!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

Choeng Mon is what I'm thinking as it has a lovely beach and is pretty laid back and quiet with a decent choice of quieter restaurants and bars.

Bophut is nice, but the beach isn't as nice as other places.

Maenam is where more locals and expats live so has a local feel, reasonable beach, but the water gets deep very quickly.

Lamai - I've always felt Lamai was a bit windswept, not my favourite beach I'm afraid.

If you wanted a little more choice of restaurants and bars and a bit of shopping thrown in then South Chaweng would be a good choice.

If you can, hire a car for a day or two and get out and about on the island.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

I agree with TM as you have a month I would also look at spending some time in Koh Phangan and Koh Tao, they're easy to get to so a good combination with Samui.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

Koh Phangan is a good option and cheaper than Samui too.

Regina, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

Thank-you all for your opinions. I think you're right - I need to get there, stay for a short time and see for myself before I settle in one location. Starting in Lamai and working and working my way around seems good.

K.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

Chaweng is the place to go, cool party scene, awesome vibe

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

hi

in may the wind could change from east to west

which means calm seas on the west when you arrive and possibly not on departure

maenam would be my choice of quiet location and good swimming every day

not touristy but plenty of great places to eat and drink

choeng mon may also suit but its getting more crowded every year

would recommend a vehicle for a month long stay , you will get some good deals if you book a month

cheers

DC

9. Re: Choosing a Ko Samui location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:24