We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused - any help would be greatly appreciated

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Confused - any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi everyone, heading to Samui for 14 nights in August, first time, and the decision was made because my friend lives there in Maenam, and we thought we would visit. I've been trawling tripadvisor and the net learning about Samui etc, and I am becoming increasingly confused about accommodation.

Our original idea was to stay in Maenam so we could be close to my friend, but I can't seem to find any accommodation that suits - its either very cheap or very expensive. The only place I was coming back to time and time again was the Samui Buri (ex Mercure) but it just doesn't get the best reviews. I have to work while I am there, (Bookkeeper) so I need a good set up with a good desk and good wifi. It also seems like it might be a bit boring? we are not nightclubbers but we do want something going on at night when out and about - bars, live bands that sort of thing?

Anyway, I am thinking perhaps it might not be such a big deal if we stay somewhere else, perhaps Bophut? that seems to be reasonably close by to Maenam, surely we can swing a few taxi rides during the 2 weeks? I would have thought we would catch up with my friend every 2 - 3 days, the rest of the time we want to really relax, but we also don't want to be in a remote location as we probably wont be hiring car or scooter. I like the look of the Bandara Spa in Bophut.

So sorry for the long winded explanation but I guess what I am asking for advice is if my idea about staying in Bophut or? is a good one and if anyone can advise me on accommodation that isn't TOO far away from Maenam? I think around the $200 - $300 night (prefer $200 of course!!)

Many thanks in advance

Nadine

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Maenam Beach
Maenam Beach
1,088 Reviews
Mae Nam, Thailand
Samui Buri Beach Resort
Samui Buri Beach Resort
830 Reviews
Mae Nam, Thailand
Bandara Resort & Spa
Bandara Resort & Spa
1,919 Reviews
Bophut, Thailand
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 103 hotels in Chaweng
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#2 of 184 hotels in Bophut
SALA Samui Chaweng Beach Resort
SALA Samui Chaweng Beach Resort
#2 of 103 hotels in Chaweng
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused - any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi

Bophut probably best option for you not too far from Maenam and plenty of eateries around especially in fisherman village. Taxi from bophut to Maenam approximately 10-15 mins depends on where's in Maenam. Also check out Bophut resort and spa, their price is in your budget range.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 06:31
Mentioned in this post
Maenam Beach
Maenam Beach
1,088 Reviews
Mae Nam, Thailand
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused - any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks sweetpea -= she lives near Seaview Restaurant, near the pier - but that really doesn't mean anything to me!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused - any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi

Agree Bophut is probably the best option as it is pretty close. I am not a fan of the beach at Bophut as I find it gritty but the more mature ambience of the area is favoured by many. I like the weekly night market there. Taxis / Songthew are easy and plentiful!

Personally we find Bophut too quiet for us - some say we are silver party goers, but we just like to have a bit of fun when on hols (in our 50s) but are normally home by 1am - and most of Bophut was shut when we got home!

I have to do a bit of work when on hols too (great being married to a guy with his own company) and find that most places have great wifi.

Mentioned in this post
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused - any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi Mitch, thanks - we would like a bit of night life as well, not so much clubs but more bars with live bands (don't know if that exists in Samui?) Any other options where to stay then? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
5. Re: Confused - any help would be greatly appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:17