We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

Hi, just reading a JBR that details costs in both AUD and Baht and it works out pretty different from what i've been imagining.

Can anyone confirm the actual rate (roughly) that i'll get for my aussie dollars in Koh Samui at the street banks exchanging cash for cash?

I've been following the link that get's posted on here to …daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

that has the baht tween 29 and 30 to the dollar.

Obviously if someone just back is quoting 25 baht to the dollar then it's a very different budget and a different calculation to get my head around. I understand banks don't always pass on the official rate, so just putting the question out there as to the reality of it all?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,090 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

The link give a really good idea, and we have always found it about right when we got to Samui.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

I noticed that too, usually the exchange rate you get are pretty close to what's on the web, within 1 baht.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

OK thanks. I was just going on the rates posted in this JBR and thought the 15-20% difference was a pretty big commission.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293918-i7560-k…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

It's possible though doubtful she was using exchange rates from her hotel or even the airport. Both those locations have rather poor rates.

There was a currency exchange company operating in Chaweng in January that I hadn't noticed before, only from small booths and I think simply called Best Exchange or something like that, they seemed to have the best rates at that time and very close the bank web rates.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

Hi

There's no commissions for changing cash or travel cheques ( TC you will pay the government charges &fee of 153baht per cheque) in banks, bank booths in Thailand.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

Not on Koh Samui but having just come back from a trip to Australia last weekend quite pleased to get THB 29.48 for AU$1 changing some left over AUD we had , that was at the bank in Bangkok :)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

I think StillDragon that the person doing the JBR may have just been rounding amounts to around 25BT rather than calculating at 28 or 29. I know that my husband still calculates it at 18 to the AUD as that is what it was a few times when we were there in the 90's LOL - he just can't get his head around the high twenties.

It has been pretty consistent at 28-29 for the past few years so you should be fine with your budgeting.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

Thanks kids.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

Hi there,

We changed money today and got 29.8 on one aus $

Also Krung Thai bank if you use an ATM will give you up to 20,000 baht at good rates with only one bank fee - all the rest we have found only give you up to 10,000.

Cheers

:)

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Actual Exchange Rates in $AUD on Koh Samui

Thanks Jennifer, that's really good info to compare.