We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Samui or Phuket

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Samui or Phuket

Planning a trip at the end of the year. Stops in Hong Kong, Macau, Bangkok, Seam Reap and Khao Lak. Figure we'll be "templed out" by Seam Reap and balance of the trip will be beaches, sailing and snorkeling. Can't decide if our last stop should be Ko Samui or Phuket. Phuket would be easier due to its proximity to Khao Lak and airport, but I'm wary of the redundancy of two areas so close together especially since most of the snorkeling trips in both areas go to the same places. Is Ko Samui different enough to warrant the additional transportation costs (about $300 pp) and hotel (J.W. Marriott Khao Lak vs Renaissance Ko Samui.

All advice would be appreciated!

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

I would recommend Koh Samui for something different however if you are travelling at the end of the year - November/December? the weather will be much better in Phuket as KS has its monsoon at that time of year.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

Hi

If end of year I would stick to west coast eg Phuket, khao lak, krabi. If you think these two ( Phuket, Khao lak) are proximately close to each other maybe head to koh Lanta or koh Jum in krabi province instaed. End of year these area you will have better weather as it is dry season.

In koh Samui end of year you will be in rainy season. It might not rains everyday but the ocean are rough and some beach are red flagged.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

The choice is made easier because your travelling during the monsoon season in Samui so defiitely Phuket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

I would stick to the West (Andaman) coast at the time of year.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,763 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

Agree, whilst Samui will be different the weather will be more stable and less risk of rain, with calmer seas on the west coast!

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

Thanks all for your quick replies. I didn't realize weather varied so much over such a relatively short distance, but it makes sense when you think about it. I'll stick to my original plans for HKT.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,763 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

Whilst the distances might be short (1 hour flight max) they are on different sides of the Thai Ismus, and subject to the 2 different monsoon winds that affect the tropics! The northeast prevailing or monsoon wind blows between October and March and affects the East side whereas from May to September the southwest prevailing monsoon wind affects the West side. However, it doesn't mean it will rain all day every day or even that it will rain, the only certainty is the sea will be rougher.

Being a sad person that I am the word comes from us Brits and we to referred to the big seasonal winds blowing as monsoon, making a hybrid of the Arabic word for season.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

stay out of ko samui if you don't know how to ride a bike. it is very expensive hard to bargain, if you would like to be ripped off by all means. phuket raining season is up close so i would stay out of both if i were you and go to bali get a cab and enjoy your holiday fruitful and cheap. do book in advance as hanging garden the perfect holiday getaway is cheap. if you insist on going go to krabi, aonang ko lanta its way more cheaper as a whole as dining out in a good restaurant is relatively cheaper compare to ko samui which is filled with scammers watch out of touts as things do happen no matter how extensive your research is get a reliable guide such as mr samui, do note i just came back no matter how much you try if no local with you avoid ko samui

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

Michael Z,

Congratulations, in the 5 or so years I've been visiting this great forum, yours is the most incomprehensible and rubbish filled post I've come across. Having been to Samui 8 times since 1997, not once have I been scammed by anyone, the only thing that would come close is the timeshare idiots who basically have "don't trust me" tattooed on their foreheads.

If you can manage to put a post together that is in anyway readable, it would be great to hear of the troubles you experienced on the island.

And btw, I've never ridden a motorbike in my life and have still managed to get around Samui without the slightest hassle.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Samui or Phuket

Yes.Wheather is the deciding point.

Though Phuket & Khao Lak is not far from each other- KL is more to Sipadan snorkelling. Phuket - Phi phi, Racha islands , etc.I would suggest Koh Lanta as well.

Travelling in Thai is easier than Bali with much choices of transportation to choose from.Coming from Asia, I find Thais more genuinely friendlier than Baliness whom from the immigration up to thier street sellers is such a joke !