We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Safari Tour

ST HELENS...
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Island Safari Tour

Hi, I have booked (stupidly, without research but was in the Koh Samui Guide online) with Island Safari Tours.

I have booked to do the Angthong Marine Park + Elephant Trekking or Fish Spa Hot!

I did not like the idea of the elephant trekking so thought I could take the Fish spa option.

I liked the write up of the trip so this is why I booked it. However since reading reviews on TA I am mortified with the reports of animal cruelty.

Is it just this company or do all the trips that do the national park visit the elephants etc..... Does this company own the place that hold the animals ?

I am a member of Born Free and would hate to think I am contributing to these evil people.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,930 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Safari Tour

All tours on Samui that include elephants will be at a 'trekking centre' There is no national park on Samui where elephants are indigenous.

This tour does not own the 'trekkng' centres (and there is more than one). Most tours that include elephants will go to one of these centres.

Please don't fool yourself it is trekking in Samui, it is a short walk around a set route.

Have you ever done a fish spa? You stick your feet into a fish tank of water where the water or fish are not changed between clients. Similarly there is a risk, albeit very low, that the person who was nibbled before you was perhaps carrying an infection. I had one once and the little blighters made my feet bleed. You may like to read this telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8833304/He…

The trips are written up in such a way to market them to you, and make you think it is the best thing since sliced bread. That is clever marketing of packaging so you just have to have it.

Personally, other than hiring a car [or a boat for Ang Thong] and getting to see the places yourself, why not speak to Michelle at samuiislandexplorer to get a bespoke trip to suit your own likes and dislikes.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
584 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Safari Tour

Hi there,

Island Safari Tours do actually own this area of land where you do the Elephant Trek however the Fish Spa is at the entrance to the Park you do not have to see the Elephants. This is not the best place to do Elephant Trekking. This is the only company on Samui that's offers this in fact you actually loose approx. 30 minutes at the Marine Park to leave early to do the trekking or fish feet.

If you haven't all ready paid in full I would suggest you look to use an alternate Company like Lomprayah. Not the best reviews, but neither is any other Tour Company in Thailand, but they do the better job on Samui. 100 baht more expensive than Island Safari Tours

Good luck

ST HELENS...
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Safari Tour

Thank you for all your advise.

I have cancelled this trip now.

I am now going with Samui Boat Charter.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 16:05
4. Re: Island Safari Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16