We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

That's it, flights booked to Koh Samui but now we need to make a decision which hotel. The problem is there's so many to choose from. We are very spoilt for choice and I just can't make a decision. I had decided earlier today that I would book the Akaryn Samui Resort & Spa after reading mainly good reviews on Trip Advisor. When I got home from work tonight thought I'd just check T/A again and a couple of new reviews have popped up that have me questioning my decision. Does anyone know of this resort and it's reputation? Good? Bad? Is it on a good beach for swimming?

I'm actually looking for somewhere with peace and quiet and a lovely soft sandy beach that's also good for swimming. I've always wanted a villa with our own private pool too. Unfortunately I don't have Simon Cowell's income, though I obviously have his tastes (maybe he'll marry me one day) so we're probably looking at spending an absolute max of £2000 on a hotel for 10 days from the beginning of May. This is the first holiday I've had that's not going to be all inclusive and as one of us is diabetic being able to obtain food easily is paramount. It would be good if the resort could be within say a 15 minute taxi ride to life outside the resort. Not night life just life in general.

So T/A's army of experts can anyone please please give me some good advice on where to stay?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,119 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

Hi

I try my best to read between the lines on reviews. Remember that they are just one persons view. It is only the last 2 that have an issue. I would be tempted to ignore them!! One person might find the staff unfriendly, but what they didn't realise is that they were unfriendly and demanding. One person might find ordering freshly prepared food for breakfast rather than a buffet that has been sitting in a warm atmosphere for several hours. Some folks accept the Thai version of western food, others have to criticise as it is not like they get at home. Some folks like the basic style of many Thai hotel rooms that are not part of a international brand some folks are happy as long as the electrics work, the shower is reasonable, the toilet flushes and the bedding is clean, even in a 4/5*. Some folks forget that 4/5* guests have exacting standards that the Thais can't always understand - a sunbed is a sunbed is a sunbed to them, similar as long as the towel is still a towel, or a massage a spa [especially when there is so much choice on the beach or the street] then they feel they are on track. Some folks expect a perfect beach, but forget that sometimes it is a great idea to head out and explore some really fabulous beaches!

If it was your choice then stick with it, unless you want to start the shortlist process again, and if you are going in May you have left it late! As you say there are so many hotels, and everyone has a opinion and a favourite.

The majority of hotels in Thailand will charge for Christmas Eve / Christmas Day / New Years Eve Galas, and they are never worth it. It is there way of making up for not charging extra to stay at the hotel on those days. However, you are not travelling then!

Choeng Mon area is quieter and has restaurants and bars about. It is not far if you want to experience Chaweng.

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

I quite agree with what you are saying. I have stayed in hotels where people have commented on T/A as having awful service, awful food etc. We booked anyway and it turned out to be an amazing place full of wonderful people. I probably will book this hotel. I was just trying to find out if anyone in the know thought there was somewhere I should look at with my criteria before making a final decision. Thank you so much for your reply and sound advice x.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

For peace and quiet (and I do mean quiet) we stay at Infinity Residences at Bang Por, in a self contained apartment with private pool. They provide 24 hour service down the hill to the local 7/11. Your post caught my eye as my other half is diabetic so access to a local minimart is important to us too!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
543 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

You may be better off in the south end of Chaweng beach as this area has a better beach and swimming. Anything south of Banana Fan Sea resort is a good location. This is location where Simon Cowell would probably go. More handy to restaraunts and shopping here as well.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

The Resotel Samui which is at the top end of South chaweng so a bit quieter than the rest of South Chaweng has pool villas and might be within your budget.

www.samuiresotel.com

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

The villas at Akaryn seem to be very good value for money but for me it would be too isolated. I like to be able to walk to shops and restaurants rather than have to get taxis etc. I find the Sawasdee website where you can see the location of your hotel in comparison to other hotels (and thus usually restaurants etc) is very good. Here is the Akaryn http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/akaryn/ - it is not really on Choeng Mon beach as it might suggest.

If you don't mind either eating at the hotel or getting a taxi or shuttle most of the time then it would be a good choice. It isn't a long way to places, just not walkable and the money does add up if using taxis all the time.

The other thing to consider is the beach. I haven't been there myself so don't take this as gospel LOL but I remember a large TA thread around the time of opening where the manager was posting and it was agreed by most that the beach was full of rocks and not the best for swimming. If you put "Akaryn" into the Koh Samui forum search box there are quite a few threads from when the hotel was opening which might be helpful. Some of these would have been about teething problems which would be ironed out by now but it will give you an idea about location and the beach.

If you are looking elsewhere, I think Choeng Mon beach would suit you. I think Chaweng even the southern end may be too busy from what you are seeking. The beach is beautiful with soft white sand and there are many restaurants along the beach and road. Sala Samui and the Imperial Boathouse are worth a look. I have just had a look on Sawasdee and a pool villa at Sala may be within budget.

Good luck with your choice and have a great holiday.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

I agree with Allie. I think South Chaweng would be too busy for you and probably too noisy since the KC bar has opened with its duf duf music day and night. Choeng Mon would be perfect. A small selection (30 or so) bars and restaurants and a small selection of shops on the beach and high street. Great beach and mousy quiet at night. Sala Samui and Muang Samui villas are on this beach and have private pools. For your budget though in Cheong Mon you would be able to rent a small but private villa with pool. You don't need Simon Cowell's budget. Have you contacted the TA expert Elina70. She runs a villa rental service (Samui Connection) and having looked at private villas myself a few years ago on her site, I'm sure there are villas in this area for your budget.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,119 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

I think South Chaweng would be too busy,. STick with what you have!

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

Sorry I haven't replied any sooner. I didn't get any emails to say you had all replied to my post. ....tut!

Thank you for all the brilliant info. By the sound of things Choeng Mon beach is possible a better area for us. Now to start searching again. I need to hurry up and make a decision or we'll be sleeping on the beach lol. If anyone has any further info on where to stay I'd be really grateful but you have all given me lots to go on already. Thank you so much x

10. Re: Flights Booked Now To Find A Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16