We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

Hiya

We are regular visitors to Thailand and have been invited to a wedding in March 2015.

We've just booked our flights (no problem and a good price), but most of the online booking agencies for hotels are showing that Samui is already fairly booked up for next March!

I can't believe this is the case (so far ahead), but having seen it on nearly all the sites I regularly look on (Expedia, Booking.com etc), I am beginning to wonder.....

I am hopeful that it is just so far ahead that the hotels haven't yet released their rooms to the agencies yet but can anyone enlighten me? The prices they are currently showing are the same prices as London hotels and that's never been the case for Thailand!! (although I do appreciate that Samui can charge more than say Bangkok hotels for example).

Any advice / insider knowledge?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

Hi

March next year is too early too book. I would wait at least 6-9 months then book.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

hi guys

i rent out villas and yes there are many booked already for next year

personally i dont take bookings that far in advance

but many others do and samui is busy from december till april

im sure there will be many options later in the year also

cheers

Dc

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

Phew! I was getting worried there! I love booking my own travel but when you see booking.com for example, with the header: 'Your travel dates are high occupancy so please try other dates', I began to get nervous!

Thanks Sweetpea - much appreciated reassurance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

Great - thanks also samuitongson.

We are looking at maybe going onto Koh Tao - I presume the same applies to hotels there? Too soon to book a hotel?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

Same all over Thailand :)

Unless you're travel in peak season ( December / January ) or November for Chiangmai for festival then yes book ASAP.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

Even some hotels over December/January haven't released their prices yet - we are going for new year and our choice of hotel is showing fully booked, but having been in contact I have been reassured that rates have not yet been released.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

@ Post # 6 I hope you meant for December /January 2015 because if this year end you might find that most hotels are already book out unless very expensive or very cheap mif her have some availability. We are also going end of year and booked ours hotel and flights since beginning of March.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

Yes new year 2014/2015...we booked our flights and all other hotels in February-just waiting on the last hotel being released for 30/12-03/01 :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

The hotels will release new contract rates to the booking companies and agencies around October every year.

The booking sites are not showing room availability because they do not yet have the rates for next year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expensive and booked already for March 2015???

Thanks everyone for your input - much appreciated. There will be quite a few of us and organising travel for everyone was looking very expensive at the rates currently available - we were beginning to regret accepting the wedding invitation! Only momentarily I might add.....!

I will keep looking then. I thought it probably would be the case but even Sawadee is showing a lot of hotels for our dates as being 'sold out'.

Thanks so much.