We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

Tel Aviv, Israel
10 posts
Save Topic
"Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

hello ,

is that so bad this issue , is it really epedemic in samui ?

it is worried me ..

thanks .

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

Dengue exists everywhere or almost everywhere in Thailand. It also exists in many or most tropical areas worldwide. It is always worthwhile to take steps to avoid mosquito bites. Thousands of tourists are on Samui at this moment and not getting dengue. It is possible that somebody is being bitten by the wrong mosquito and is in fact catching dengue, so use repellant. To call it epidemic is probably an overstatement. To be aware of the fact that it exists and is fairly easy to have a very high propbability of avoiding dengue, and taking those appropriate steps, is a good idea.

Tel Aviv, Israel
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

thank you ,

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,007 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

You need to take proper precautions as stated above, wear mozzie repellent day and night - I wouldn't let it put you off.

Tel Aviv, Israel
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: "Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

thanks i will , in the nigth when i am sleeping with AC in the room , till i need to put some ?

any recommended for a good repllay with not agresive smell ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

Mosquito's hate air-conditioning. You will need fly spray/mosquito killer and personal insect repellent. Keep in mind that when the housekeepers make up your room, they will leave all the doors wide open. So you need to spray the room after housekeeping and then again before going to bed, just in case. Try to keep the balcony/terrace door closed at all times. You don't need to wear the personal repellent when you sleep if you follow my suggestion re room.

When the family goes out, make sure you are all wearing personal repellent. None of them smell all that nice but they're not offensive either. Not sure what brands they have in Israel but I'm sure it's at least as good as what is available in Thailand. You need 'tropical strength'. Don't forget to do ankles and behind the knee.

Cheers.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,804 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

Denge mozzies are active all day, not at night. It is the malaria mozzies that are night active.

It is essential to avoid mosquito bites as much as possible by covering up with clothing such as long sleeves and long trousers especially after sunset, using a really good insect repellents on exposed skin and using mozzie coils or sprays in your room, not leaving doors and windows open etc

We buy a good local brand from the 7Eleven which we carry with us, as well as a mozzie spray or coil for the room. We also wear sun cream and after sun that have either insect repellent or insect repellent qualities.

We buy a good repellent - jungle formula with high % of DEET. We use the Boots brand [English chain of pharmacys that sell everything in the toiletries / medicines / sun cream etc, which do have outlets on Samui

Doesn't stop us getting bitten, but avoids most.

7. Re: "Dengue is apparently rife" worte here .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:16