We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Ko Samui

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Ko Samui

Hello there,

We are interested in travelling to Ko Samui in August 2015.

I have done some research and attempted to gather an estimate for hotel prices in this area for the time we are intending on staying.

We've always been dedicated Travel Republic customers as they're reliable and efficient, but upon investigating prices for hotels we have noticed some are absolutely ridiculous. The hotel we are interested in, The Conrad in Koh Samui is available for £10,000 for 11 nights commencing on the 9th August (the dates we are looking for next year)

Will they be different for next year, are they so high because of availability or for the late booking prices?

I am slightly worried we won't get this hotel, it's so expensive.

To add: at the time we will be a family of four travelling with two children/ish ages 16 and 11.

Also, i am worried regarding the weather. Apparently Ko Samui is lovely at this time of year and the weather is usually sunny. We are only available to travel on these dates for school arrangements and my sons examinations before then.

Many thanks.

Any relevant comments are greatly appreciated.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Ko Samui

1. Weather is normally lovely in August but it is the tropics so no guarantee given or implied.

2. I don't think I would want to be in The Conrad for 10 days with teenagers.

3. For your budget I would get a villa with staff near more of the better beaches.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Ko Samui

If that price is for a 2 bedroom villa for 4 people for 11 nights then I would say that's about right. You've picked one of the most expensive hotels on the island.

Just bear in mind though that its a good 40 minute drive or 50 dollar taxi fare to the main resorts. Food and drink at the hotel will be on a par with london prices. Theres also no beach as such at the resort.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,122 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Ko Samui

Hi from along the A47!

August is a good time. Can't guarantee no rain, but less risks!

LOL, the Conrad is very much top end, so you will pay thru the nose. You can get hotels a lot cheap than that. It would be like thinking all hotels in London are expensive because you are looking at the Ritz or the Savoy. I think I would find the Conrad very much a horrid experience if I was a teen!

Why not look at something like hotelscombined.com to find the better deals, they are coming back at £2,000-5,000 for a room - it is an expensive hotel. Flights are around [you missed out on the cheap flights sometime ago] £600 to £800 per person booking this late. We have found that getting flights to Bangkok and then booking the Samui leg separately normally works out cheaper, as the Bangkok to Samui leg can be expensive if booked with a flight from Heathrow. Flights to Samui from Bangkok are around the £100 return, or £50 each way. So add it all up and the £10k for the Conrad is about right!

I would opt for something like the Centara Grand - not as new, or as posh, or as remote, save a packet and the youngsters will be happier too!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Ko Samui

Hello! How strange, someone from Norfolk! Haha.

Thank you for you extremely detailed response, i understand that booking this late would obviously increase the prices. The Conrad was £10,000 for a room, a lone, which i thought was unbelievably expensive, however as you've enlightened me of the English comparisons i understand now! Hahaha!

So the Centara Grand, is recommended for teenagers?

We like good quality hotels that offer comfortable rooms and nice accommodation so are quite willing to compromise on hotels.

Are there any other hotels you would suggest?

To responses 1 and 2.

I have researched into Villas and they all appear pretty expensive as they are built to accommodate large parties, there are not many 2 to 3 bedroom places.

What are the villa websites you would suggest, i have only really looked on 2.

Any other hotels that offer a nice beach and are in close proximity to a (reasonably) popular resort?

Many thanks as always!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Ko Samui

You must be looking at the wrong villa sites as there are plenty of 2 and 3 bedroom villas. Have a look on samui connection or contact the ta expert elina70 as she owns the company. There are some lovely villas overlooking choeng mon beach.

Choeng mon is a very pretty beach and only 10 minutes by cab from bhoput and chaweng. Also on that beach is sala samui a very nice hotel. Muang samui villas are also on this beach.

Across the bay is tongsai bay. They do a stunning 2 bedroom villa for about half the cost of the conrad and a 2 bedroom family cottage.

Centara grand is very popular with families but I'm not sure its what you're looking for if you like the look and feel of the conrad but it will cost about 70% less.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Ko Samui

Thanks for the useful information.

We are looking to spend approximately £2400 - £ 2700 on accommodation in Koh Samui, what hotels and villas would you suggest in this price range.

We have chosen the Conrad as our hotel in Bangkok so i suppose i automatically assumed prices would be

similar, obviously not!

Thanks

7. Re: Hotels in Ko Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:17