We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer, help with hotel choices please

Dubai
Level Contributor
161 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
first timer, help with hotel choices please

Hi,

We are embarking on our first trip to Bangkok and Koh Samui in June so not long to sort our hotel out.

We are looking at the following hotels and could do with some assistance re locations, beaches etc.

Akaryn in a pool suite

Anantara Lawana in a deluxe plunge pool room

also looked at Infinity, six senses, anantara bophut and zazen boutique.

We have stayed in Anantara in phuket and love gorgeous rooms a great hotel, quiet area but able to easily get around. We will be celebrating 34 years together while we are there so want something lovely.

Any help will be very appreciated

Thanks

Sue

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,927 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer, help with hotel choices please

Hi

I do sort of hate these 'help me decide' posts.

What we need is what will be the deal maker and the deal breaker?

What is important about the locations?

What is important about the beaches?

Ie, beach not so important as pool, but need to be within 5mins taxi / 15mins walk of restaurants. We can then say yes or no. When it comes to subjective then that is the hardest thing as it is personal opinion.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
115 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer, help with hotel choices please

Hi Sue, most of those Hotels you mentioned are in the North and not far from the Airport or nightlife. I love Six Senses. I love the brand and the Samui resort is in an incredible location at almost the farthest Northerly point of Samui. The pool area is nice and the beach is on one side. You'll walk a lot around the resort but that's not a bad thing after the amazing buffet breakfast :-). It's not cheap but it really is an experience. I have also stayed at Anantara but it's not in the same league as Six Senses. Others might have some more advise for you about that area. There is a lot to choose from. Good luck and enjoy Samui

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer, help with hotel choices please

As TM says depends what's important to you from a hotel. Anatara Bhoput is right by fishermans village so lots of restaurants and bars within a few seconds stroll of the hotel. The downside is the beach is public and shared with other hotels. The sand is more gritty than in other areas of Samui (not that this bother me at all).

I personally would not choose any hotel in Chaweng as I would not describe any part of Chaweng (even the Southern parts) as quiet.

Of the hotels you've listed my choice would be six senses. Lovely hotel, lovely location but the downside is there's nothing much within walking distance of the hotel. You might also want to have a look at Tongsai Bay as its the next bay along from six senses and within walking distance of Choeng Mon which has a good choice of restaurants and bars. That NE corner of Samui is my favourite locations as its not wall to wall westernised development, which you'llfind has overtaken many parts of Samui. Sala Samui is also a nice hotel on Choeng Mon beach.

Dubai
Level Contributor
161 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer, help with hotel choices please

thanks very much for your replies.

As we are going mid june, which coast is likely to be better weather wise.

I really do fancy Akaryn and have had a great price for a 1 bed pool villa, so am leaning towards that one at the moment. Just want to be close to shops bar and restaurants but in a quiet area where we can relax and enjoy ourselves. I have also looked at villas and there are some gorgeous ones for same money as the hotels.

Decisions decisions

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer, help with hotel choices please

Mid June you will find the best weather on the East (Gulf) coast. Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer, help with hotel choices please

Hi

If you meant which coast of Samui the answers is no matter. Samui is just a small island you will have the same weather. Most regulars on here referred east coast ( Samui, phangan and Tao ) west coast ( Phuket, krabi etc) of Thailand not to Samui. The east and west coast of Thailand have different weather.

7. Re: first timer, help with hotel choices please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:18