We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sim card

notts
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
sim card

need a sim card to phone my mum up how much credit do you need to purchase to phone uk for about 30 mins please and can you take a unlocked android phone

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sim card

Hi

Yes you can take an unblocked android. I always pay 500 baht to start with and I 'phone Scotland every night (my Dad is 89). I only topped up with another 500 baht and after two weeks had 200 baht left. You can ask in any 7/11 and an assistant will take care of everything for you.

Enjoy!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sim card

Hi

They have many service provider. Dtac starting off with 299 baht. As said 7/11, minimart, family sell these card and the staffs will set it up for you. You can just poop back any stores to top it up if needed. No problem with androids phone. We took iPhone and no problem.

Cheers,

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sim card

Sorry my bad that should read pop back in store NOT" poop " back to store :)

Thanks Thaimusic :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sim card

If you're not already there you can get a free sim, phone set up and with credit (start with 300baht) from True in the arrival hall at the airport.

They have a booth there and the staff will show you how to dial home.

This of course assumes you are arriving by plane, if not then above posts are good in how to get one on the island (with or without poop, lol)

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sim card

is true a good provider throughout? I will be in BKK, Samui, and Chiang Mei. Mainly looking for a good data plan for unlocked iphone 5s.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 06:26
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sim card

@victor B yes "true " provider is also good. Wherever you are in Thailand you only need one SIM card.

notts
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sim card

thanks for all the replies eilean x

NORWICH
Level Contributor
197 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sim card

We always get our SIM cards either in BKK Airport our any phone shop in Thailand. Cheap as chips. You will need your passport to get your SIMM.youncan get top ups all over the place. We always take our old unlocked iPhone. Our maybe use FaceTime??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sim card

Never had to produce my passport to get a SIM. You can get them at Seven11 minimarts plos top ups over the counter.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sim card

Agree, no one has ever asked me the passport to buy a Sim Card in Thailand.